All Apropos of Nothing

I wouldn't say I was a dear female.......... In fact I'd say I was quite cheap :35:

I don't like roses, I proffer daffodils. I think diamonds are hideous so cheap is a good word :D

Whoops! I should never rush things. The original should, of course, have read:

"Doh, a deer, a female deer"

But is that not all in keeping with the theme of this thread?

And has anyone else noted just how many accents are used in writing in the Czech language?

Whoops! I should never rush things. The original should, of course, have read:

And has anyone else noted just how many accents are used in writing in the Czech language?

As in: Proč český jazyk používat tolik diakritiku ??? ???

I came across a six letter word of theirs today, five of which had accents. Cannot find it again but there is this one: užíváš

When I posted:

I now realise I really should have added a few :wink:s and :me:s.

I need to get ready to go out for an appointment. But when I get a chance later we can go into the complexities of either '-ise' or '-ize' endings to words. I realise or realize you will all be waiting with bated breath.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:​

My breath is always bated for things you say.

Its all a bit reminiscent of Compo's "A name full of z' s and w 's " They'll think twice about cutting his electric off!" :21: :22:

Okay then, we are uzivas everything you teach us.

You missed all the accents. Uzivas probably means something entirely different if not extremely rude.

in reply to my query, "Proč český jazyk používat tolik diakritiku ?????", my lovely Czech friend simply responded, 'Because :)'

google translator coped without the accents - although it was not sure whether a Slovakian or Serbian word!

Not sure how you got that. When I told Google that 'uzivas' is Czech, it did indeed translate it as 'enjoying' which makes one wonder if they need all the accents (strictly diacritical marks) in the first place.

If I told Google that 'uzivas' is Slovak, it translated as 'TAKE'. If I specified Serbian it failed to translate and simply repeated 'uzivas'. If I told Google to detect the language, it came up with Esperanto.

Ho, hum.

Not sure how you got that. When I told Google that 'uzivas' is Czech, it did indeed translate it as 'enjoying' which makes one wonder if they need all the accents (strictly diacritical marks) in the first place.

If I told Google that 'uzivas' is Slovak, it translated as 'TAKE'. If I specified Serbian it failed to translate and simply repeated 'uzivas'. If I told Google to detect the language, it came up with Esperanto.

Ho, hum.

Wow . . . I can almost, just almost understand 'TAKE' being by the side of 'ENJOYING' as a definition, loosely meaning pulling something into oneself. I am getting joy and I am enjoying, but where does Esperanto come in. Geeeez. I defer to the brains on board here.

Wow . . . but where does Esperanto come in. Geeeez. I defer to the brains on board here.

Esperanto an artificial language developed by someone called Zimenhof in the 1880s.

We were encouraged to learn it at school by our French teacher who thought it was the future of language!

There is a link to Summer Wine. Anyone know what it is?

Back