AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Petrol in Oz too. Ask for gas and you will find someone with a tank of propane! So somehow we need a British-American-Australian dictionary!

Barnpot, we are basically a mixture of British and American culture here as the foundation stones but then a multitude of other stuff mixed in.
Basically in answer to your question... YES, but not as much as you might think, mainly the language, which although English has peculiarities which differ from
both UK AND USA. Even that can vary from state to state...for example over here in West Oz bathing costumes (such as they are!!) are called "bathers" in the Eastern States they are called "swimmers"

What you call "flip flops" we call "thongs" (Yes I know the other meaning) Swearing over here is also quite colourful ( and unfortunately the nastier stuff is becoming more and more prevalent) and what may constitute a swear word in UK or USA may NOT be one here and Vice Versa...the classic "Fanny" for example has the same meaning here as UK but NOT what is meant in USA LMAO. (Apologies if offensive)

Oh yes almost forgot... the WEATHER is a bit different too!!!!:08:

Barnpot, we are basically a mixture of British and American culture here as the foundation stones but then a multitude of other stuff mixed in.
What you call "flip flops" we call "thongs" ....:08:

as in Netherthong or Upperthong - places not too far from Holmfirth?

If anyone recalls a gentleman called Freddie "Parrot Face" Davies primarily a comedian but was known to deliver an impromptu but not necessarily melodic "thong" should booing ensue he would retort by bitterly complaining about being "thick thick thick up to here"

If anyone recalls a gentleman called Freddie "Parrot Face" Davies primarily a comedian but was known to deliver an impromptu but not necessarily melodic "thong" should booing ensue he would retort by bitterly complaining about being "thick thick thick up to here"
Recall him --- what memories are revived through this forum!

He was one of FOGGY'S "victims " but offhand I cant think of the episode :confused:

ONCE IN A MOONLIT JUNKYARD He was a bird watcher !:12:

BTW He once made a record of Bill's song "So Lucky In My Life" You can catch it on U TUBE!:laugh:

Just watched the SAME Reliable Oil tank truck pulling into
and gassing up tanks at Shell and several other local
brands (some no-name).

Is it really ALL the same gasoline??
To be correct and over-the-top pedantic, a gasoline cargo tanker truck fills the underground tanks at the gas stations and not oil tanker trucks. And actually they have three compartments (tanks) on each truck so they can fill high test, medium test and low test all at the same time.

Basically in answer to your question... YES, but not as much as you might think, mainly the language, which although English has peculiarities which differ from
both UK AND USA. Even that can vary from state to state...for example over here in West Oz bathing costumes (such as they are!!) are called "bathers" in the Eastern States they are called "swimmers"

What you call "flip flops" we call "thongs" (Yes I know the other meaning) Swearing over here is also quite colourful ( and unfortunately the nastier stuff is becoming more and more prevalent) and what may constitute a swear word in UK or USA may NOT be one here and Vice Versa...the classic "Fanny" for example has the same meaning here as UK but NOT what is meant in USA LMAO. (Apologies if offensive)

Oh yes almost forgot... the WEATHER is a bit different too!!!!:08:
Do you say that something is FLAMABLE or IMFLAMABLE to refer to the fact that it might catch on fire?

Adanor, you naughty person..that is an old one. (other than the spelling!!:08:) Flammable AND Inflammable BOTH mean HIGHLY flammable LOL OUCH..Burny burny!!!!!:37::13:

As for you Barnpot..Thongs can mean a LOT of things depending on the context. ;)

What I meant was, if the same truck is filling gasoline tanks
at different-named stations (Shell, Exxon, Marathon,
Circle-K, etc) does that not imply that many of the
different brands sell you the same gasoline??

Adanor, you naughty person..that is an old one. (other than the spelling!!:08:) Flammable AND Inflammable BOTH mean HIGHLY flammable LOL OUCH..Burny burny!!!!!:37::13:

As for you Barnpot..Thongs can mean a LOT of things depending on the context. ;)

Highly Flammable as in Wesley's mobile Hot Dog cart is Highly Flammable.

Thong is in regular use in Yorkshire the quoted place names are supposed to be derived from the Danish/Viking word for "thing" or possibly defined as "a strip of land".
There are other words in use such as TOWEL which is Yorkshire for bird of prey that appeared in Harry Potter. :08:

Highly Flammable as in Wesley's mobile Hot Dog cart is Highly Flammable.

Thong is in regular use in Yorkshire the quoted place names are supposed to be derived from the Danish/Viking word for "thing" or possibly defined as "a strip of land".
There are other words in use such as TOWEL which is Yorkshire for bird of prey that appeared in Harry Potter. :08:
Here in Notts place names ending in THWAITE are fairly common. Thwaite meaning a cleared strip of marshy ground. I assume SLAITHWAITE was named so!:confused:

Hmmmmmm...cleared strip of marshy ground, if it was TOTALLY cleared would that make it an UTTERTHWAITE?????? Of course you may have to move to view it all in other words...... See More Utterthwaite!

I can't believe I just said that!!!!:08::12::13:

Back