A new member

Norm

Dedicated Member
Hello I am a new member, my husband recently died after a long illness, and I found watching LOTSW helped me to survive both before and after his death. My favourite actor is Peter Sallis and his wonderful character Norman Clegg. Stephen spent the last year of his live in a nursing home and I visited him every day, I would arrive home in tears but would watch an episode and the tears would turn from sadness to laughter. I believe it is Peters birthday today and he is 92, I do hope he had a lovely day.

Hello I am a new member, my husband recently died after a long illness, and I found watching LOTSW helped me to survive both before and after his death. My favourite actor is Peter Sallis and his wonderful character Norman Clegg. Stephen spent the last year of his live in a nursing home and I visited him every day, I would arrive home in tears but would watch an episode and the tears would turn from sadness to laughter. I believe it is Peters birthday today and he is 92, I do hope he had a lovely day.

You are so very, very welcome and long may you find comfort from the larks of our characters of Holmfirth.

it is very nice to have you aboard and to join in the chat with other Wino's,you are not the first person to say how the show has helped them through troubled times,Terry

HELLO Norm (a big hello you notice :D) Being on the forum has helped me over the recent loss of my wife so I hope you may enjoy your time with us. :)

Hello Norm.

I am sorry about your loss and find your story very warming. There are a very comforting quality to the show and its characters.

Thank you all for your kind words, am very new at this sort of thing, and don't want to bore you all, am a bit like Clegg rather shy !!
Stephens funeral is this coming Friday and one of the pieces of music I have chosen is LOTSW a version sung by Val Doonican which I like very much. Thank you again for such a lovely welcome.

Hello Norm, welcome to our forum so sorry for your loss has Terry said Summer Wine does help in times of sadness my dad found it comporting when my mam passed and I have recently lost 2 more family members and find it a great de-stresser, hope all goes well on Friday. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this great show.

Hello Folks, again thanks for your kind words, it means a lot to me. As I said earlier the shows have been a life line for myself and Stephen. it is perhaps a little unfair to have favourites as the three main characters are so wonderful :Compo, then Blamire, Foggy, Seymour and Truly. All those lovely Actors who played them were tremendous, and so believable, but somehow for me Peter Sallis was Clegg, he only has to raise an eyebrow and I am laughing. His reading of Blamires letter in "The man from Oswestry" is perfection, you can almost hear Blamire speaking, my other favourite is in "Getting Sam Back" when he talks about the little bird that flew into the school window and finishes with little Tommy in North Africa, he does it beautifully, He is also so funny when he is in the slapstick scenes, I found on utube a little thing called "Last of the Summer Wine must go on" someone has put together a terrific little show of some of the funniest bits and Peter is hysterical.
Anyway I think I will stop now and have a cup of tea and a bun and perhaps this evening I might have "a bit of sausage for me tea" (veggie as I don't eat meat)
See Ya.

Oh Norm I like you very much already Getting Sam Home is my very favorite too ;D

Hiya Norm. I'm with you all the way on that scene about the yellowhammer hitting the window. Mr Sallis is remarkably good at bringing out the poiniancy of those words without making it gloomy. As everyone else on the forum knows I'm a total Peter Sallis fan. Good to have you here.

Hi Norm,
I'm real sorry for your loss. When I found LOTSW, Compo reminded me of how my father used to act and that is what made me a fan. Everytime I watch I get to see a little of my Dad. I'm glad you are here, these folks are the best!!!
I wonder If Roy Clarke knows how the show has helped people throughout the years.

Welcome aboard, Norm!!! I´m very sorry about your loss.
I agree with what you say about Cleggy, and as we are talking about it:

He is also so funny when he is in the slapstick scenes, I found on utube a little thing called "Last of the Summer Wine must go on" someone has put together a terrific little show of some of the funniest bits and Peter is hysterical.

That was me ;D! The video I mean, it´s mine. And he is just like that in real life as well, not the slapstick of course, but the raising of an eyebrow and you are laughing.

Hello Everyone sorry I Have not been about this last few days .Stephens Celebation of his life was last Friday, I don't like to call it a funeral as it wasn't held in church, it was in a village hall with lots lovely music and poetry and I am just starting to feel able to function again.Thank you once more for all your kind messages it has meant a lot to me. Being so new to this sort of think am not quite sure how to go on. I would love to discuss my thoughts etc on LOTSW and Clegg my favourite character,am I suposed to use this bit for that sort of discussion ? I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Hello Everyone sorry I Have not been about this last few days .Stephens Celebation of his life was last Friday, I don't like to call it a funeral as it wasn't held in church, it was in a village hall with lots lovely music and poetry and I am just starting to feel able to function again.Thank you once more for all your kind messages it has meant a lot to me. Being so new to this sort of think am not quite sure how to go on. I would love to discuss my thoughts etc on LOTSW and Clegg my favourite character,am I suposed to use this bit for that sort of discussion ? I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Welcome and blessings.

I don't know if you have found it yet but a neat place to enter the Forum is "Recent Posts" at http://www.summerwine.net/community/index.php?action=recent

There you can see all recent activity and comment and post on the appropriate page/board by simply hitting "Reply" or "Quote" at the applicable post.

There you can see all recent activity and comment and post on the appropriate page/board by simply hitting "Reply" or "Quote" at the applicable post.

If you want to start a new thread, go to "Home" page, hit appropriate heading - say "General Discussions", for example - and then select "New Topic". You can then enter your selected title for the thread.

Back