Your favourite quotes from Last Of The Summer Wine. I'll begin

Pre-runner to owning a trolley[bogey in NE] we used to take all the straps off an old style roller skate , put an Annual like Beano or Dandy on it, sit on it and off down the Hill we'd go feet or your backside were the brakes , your old mum would do her dinger because often you put a hole or tore the backside of your Jeans and often you got friction burns in that area also and not the easiest place to put cream/a plaster.

Pre-runner to owning a trolley[bogey in NE] we used to take all the straps off an old style roller skate , put an Annual like Beano or Dandy on it, sit on it and off down the Hill we'd go feet or your backside were the brakes , your old mum would do her dinger because often you put a hole or tore the backside of your Jeans and often you got friction burns in that area also and not the easiest place to put cream/a plaster.
Oh I got a couple of telling off which was words and no slaps etc, off my mam for wrecking my shoes and clothes while playing in the woods, tarzan ropes, sliding down grassy hills on big sheets of cardboard etc. This was the 70s. I occasionally go past the woods us kids hung out in and it's gone totally wild and the paths have disappeared. Apparently no kids explore there anymore. World has changed.

They were great times , decade earlier for me , the sad emoji is because kids cannot really have the opportunity to experience what we did which was raw and essentially unsanitized . There are facilities where you can walk along platforms between trees climbing up ladders to get there and descending by zip wire but with safety helmets on and clipped to a safety wire.

They were great times , decade earlier for me , the sad emoji is because kids cannot really have the opportunity to experience what we did which was raw and essentially unsanitized . There are facilities where you can walk along platforms between trees climbing up ladders to get there and descending by zip wire but with safety helmets on and clipped to a safety wire.
We definitely diced with death that's for sure :29:
Yeah kids are victims of overlove without a doubt and maybe that's bad but I knew a couple of lads who got seriously injured in the 70s adventures but I still think that risk is what makes us I really do. I had several sprained wrists, ankles, bloodied head, nose and broken finger but the injuries never stopped me. A sanitised life is a bad idea.
But and I know this is true some kids still cycle, climb etc but they're usually much older than I was. I was dossing in woods when I was 7.

I was the same,all my friends were,we would set off in the morning and not be back till night,all the area that we used to get up to our adventures has all gone,it was fields and trees and streams with springs,but it’s all houses now,absolutely Mikey the kids today are over protected with risk assessments for everything,and the captain is right ,it’s sad that the kids of today can’t experience all of that,the internet and smart phones and social media can be great,but I’m glad I had my childhood when I did.
I think it’s one of the reasons I love our beloved show,they’re us again,reliving all our childhoods climbing trees and going down rivers in rafts and out in the countryside with mates all day.
We must have all been the same though,do you remember all those terrifying public safety films that were on the telly all the time showing kids being killed going near or climbing electricity pylons and warning of death at everything you might get up to.
Those were the days.
Chuffer x

I was the same,all my friends were,we would set off in the morning and not be back till night,all the area that we used to get up to our adventures has all gone,it was fields and trees and streams with springs,but it’s all houses now,absolutely Mikey the kids today are over protected with risk assessments for everything,and the captain is right ,it’s sad that the kids of today can’t experience all of that,the internet and smart phones and social media can be great,but I’m glad I had my childhood when I did.
I think it’s one of the reasons I love our beloved show,they’re us again,reliving all our childhoods climbing trees and going down rivers in rafts and out in the countryside with mates all day.
We must have all been the same though,do you remember all those terrifying public safety films that were on the telly all the time showing kids being killed going near or climbing electricity pylons and warning of death at everything you might get up to.
Those were the days.
Chuffer x
Agreed Agreed Agreed.
Yes I do remember the safety films especially the one where the GRIM REAPER appears hahaha. Thing is us kids were risk takers but we weren't morons and if we went near lakes, railway tracks we still took precautions.
And yes LOTSW is basically my childhood hehehe.
Check this out you know this hahaha

That was brilliant watching that again,it’s not Billy’s brother in law Bradley doing the narrating is it,it sounds like him and it’s exactly his kind of thing :)
They we’re superbly made films aimed at kids in an age where kids were adventurous,the one I remember mostly was the kid getting killed while climbing trying to get his kite back.
I‘v had another listen and I’m convinced … IT IS BRADLEY !!!

That was brilliant watching that again,it’s not Billy’s brother in law Bradley doing the narrating is it,it sounds like him and it’s exactly his kind of thing :)
They we’re superbly made films aimed at kids in an age where kids were adventurous,the one I remember mostly was the kid getting killed while climbing trying to get his kite scripted with six or seven sentences in every sentence to suit my speech " ......

They we’re superbly made films aimed at kids in an age where kids were adventurous,the one I remember mostly was the kid getting killed while climbing trying to get his kite back.
I‘v had another listen and I’m convinced … IT IS BRADLEY !!!
I believe it's Donald Pleasance who insists he is " scripted with six or seven s' in every single sentence to suit my speech " ......

Wow thanks Mikey that was really interesting,what a great read,there was such a lot of work went into it but the change from Rolf Harris gentle persuasion to the spirit of dark and lonely water warning of death worked though,I was 13 and it scared me to death,still find it very effective.
Thankyou.

Love it Stephen ! Are you coming to the 50th Anniversary celebrations?
Unfortunately not, Barry. I would love to meet you all but I am far to late to get accommodation. Plus I am tied up with various other endeavours that have, to be frank, taken up a great deal of my capital. I wish you all a great time though; and, hopefully, I can meet you all soon. I am more than happy to buy you a a pint, Barry, should we meet. ☺️

Stephen. Xxx

Back