Winsor Davis & LOTSW

I think like all the third men we'd have got to like "Benjamin Byrchall" with a "Y" and Windsor Davis playing the character if the story is true and it had ever come to anything once he'd given us a few laughs and a couple of classic LOTSW moments.

If the story is false then all I'll say is someone somewhere has a fantastic imagination because the detail is too winesque for it to be something someone just made up off the top of their head over a pint in a bar one evening.

Just read all this: while a lot of conjecture I have to agree that there is a lot of detail that sounds right to suggest that there is some grounds for this to be seen as true. The catchphrase also suggests that Roy Clarke may have been aware.

Simply we do not know and I suspect we are unlikely ever to know. There are lots of ideas which come to nothing but I would agree that this one could have worked.

As an aside I think that Seymour worked because he was non military and so completely different to the two military men (Blamire and Foggy) and Truly was from an uniformed organisation which overlapped - also needed as Foggy material was re-written for Truly as we are told in the various accounts of Brian Wilde's second departure through illness.

I think if it was true it would have been mentioned at some point in a book or two, Fulton Mackay's name was mentioned freely even if it was just to frighten Brian Wilde.

I've heard that Mackay's character was going to be called Scottie but even if he had been cast,he wouldn't have been in it too long :(

Back