Why Squirrels as title of show?

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I have been watching some episodes of my The Squirrels DVD's and am curious as to why it was named so. I'm liking it, it is funny. Ken Jones of The Wackers is in it as well as Patsy Rowlands of Hallelujah!

The dvd set does mention that it only contains 22 existing of the 29 episodes. That it does have some scripts and photos of some of the missing eps. Maybe it is explained in one of the missing episodes. Made it through most of the first season so far and still not sure why it is called 'the Squirrels'.

The main core of the cast seem to work at the accounting department of an international rental company. In one episode it was mentioned renting hundreds of tv's to a large hotel. The intro scenes show the cast as hand drawn animal squirrels but they seem to be in what looks like bird cages - which makes things even more confusing. Can provide a screencap if needed. Anyone familiar with the series or have seen it know where it got it's name and why? Were office workers called squirrels back in this time period (the 70's roughly)?

Thanks.

I am not sure the Title has any relevance Rick . I found a quote from Eric Chappell the writer :-

He described it as being about 'the paranoia and lust for promotion of white-collar workers in confined spaces.". He based the show on his experiences as a travelling auditor with the East Midlands Electricity Board.

The only analogy I could make which would tie to what he said is these so called promotion seeking workers would try and gain an advantage by squirreling away information that would be beneficial in their quest to progress . If you then associate the phrase Secret Squirrel Stuff used by US Intelligence personnel to describe material that was highly classified that adds weight to what the writer said . One final thought as it was the Accounts Department and the potential to distort figures and to hide money to disguise the true picture all tie in to the phrase " squirreling money away " .

In the end who knows what the writer had in mind .

They do seem to be eager to use information gained about another that could help themselves.

Back