Why do you like "Last of the Summer Wine"?

Dutchcompo

Why do you like "Last of the Summer Wine"?

Just sentimental reasons.
I grew up in a country-village. There was a scruffy person always poaching. When he was caught by the police, he was to old to go to prison... He had to go to the mayor instead. The mayor asked him politely to stop with his poaching practices. Of course he will stop this week, far to busy with other things, but no promises for next week...
At the end of the habitable world of our village there were some benches with elderly people on it. Whenever you went for a stroll into the nature with a girlfriend, just like Howard and Marina, you never were sure someone was following you...
I moved to the big city and zapping along the TV-channels I saw a serie with nice wide landscapes. That was my first reason to start watching LOSW.
Later I enjoyed the hilarious comedy very different than those American crap.
My girlfriend and I visited Holmfirth more than 10 years ago . We enjoyed our stay at the camping and our first meeting with Terry and his wife.
The first day we came by train in Brockholes. We had our bikes with us and asked a grass-mowing person (what else does an Englishman in his free-time), where the camp-site was.
He told us, we had to go to the right, second street to the left and than cycle 200 kilometres... Luckily for us it was just 200 yards.

What reasons do you have?

Re: Why do you like "Last of the Summer Wine"?

I was seventeen when I watched the very first episode in 1973 and loved the idea that getting old did not mean having to give up having fun.Then there was that beautiful scenery.But mainly because I wanted to be like Compo when I grew up.

For many years I thought it was for old fogeys. Then one summer a few years back, I got bored then just switched on GOLD and it was on. It was a Seymour episode and I was confused why the tall fellow with the moustache etc (Foggy) wasn't there. I then watched the episode and became hooked. I watched all the GOLD Seymour episodes and then ordered the dvds to watch the specials. It really was Seymour, who reminded me of my favourite eccentris English school masters. Also the melancholy and missed aspirations his episodes brought. And finally of course the house and it's pond. I do like Foggy, but Seymour will be my fave character, even above Compo and Clegg.

The dialogue.

Especially in the older episodes - the wonderfully disconnected lines between the threesome; those so accurate pictures in words of strong women and their men.

The fun and laughter from simple pleasures, also because I just love eccentrics

Help!

If you are missing me today on this forum?
I have to do odd jobs!
I have to clean the windows!!!
Can someone help me to escape?

Back