Who is Brian Batty?

theatrically_inclined

Dedicated Member
In the December 1982 special “All Mod Conned” in the Café there is a poster for an “Xmas Flower Extravaganza” with the name ‘Brian Batty’.
I know this has been mentioned on the forum before, but no one seemed to even query to origin of the name, for example:
  • Was it a real poster from Holmfirth, and used because it had a perceived connection to the show?
  • Was it a fake poster and the BBC Art Department were showing a lack of originality in finding a name?
  • Or...?
Here's a photo (bigger version in the link below)
0-TN All Mod Conned - Brian Batty.jpg

Bigger Image

Batty is not uncomon in the area. I don't know the answer to that one but have noticed other posters pinned up. One comes to mind for wrestling with big daddy, who also played big Malcolm.
Sorry Graham, wrong wrestler: "Shirley Crabtree (14 November 1930 – 2 December 1997), better known as Big Daddy, was an English professional wrestler with a record-breaking 64-inch chest." Big Malcolm was ex-wrestler Paul Luty.

Ok, try a bit more of my confusion. I'm pretty sure 'the grumble weeds' were in a pub scene & were also seen coming out of the mens. An early episode. Anyone else agree?

The card players in "A Quiet Drink" were:
  • John Rapley,
  • Gordon Bilboe,
  • Norman Robbins,
  • Chris Sanders.
According to Wikipedia, the Grumbleweeds were/ are:
Current members
  • Robin Stewart Colvill - Vocals (1962-present)
  • James Brandon - Vocals (2014-present)
Former members
  • Graham Paul Walker (1962-2013)
  • Maurice Lee - guitar, drums, vocals (1967-1998)
  • Carl Sutcliffe - guitar, keyboards, vocals (1967-1987)
  • Albert Sutcliffe - keyboards, drums, vocals (1967-1987)
  • Phillip Hall (1967)
  • Tony Jo (1997)

All Mod Conned is probably my favorite episode. There are all sorts of things scribbled on the walls in the train station waiting room where Foggy interferes with the gentlemen's newspapers. Wouldn't it be neat if the members of the cast had been allowed to scribble on the walls to make it look like a graffitied wall while waiting to start filming.

Back