Where Wesley's shed was,today.

Pete.

Dedicated Member
10-3-15%20004_zpsc46wp73t.jpg
10-3-15%20005_zpsy8owbpff.jpg

Where Wesley's shed was today

Can I please ask if this is Spring Lane near Marsden as it appears on the main site Summer Wine map . Thank you in advance for any information .

Can I please ask if this is Spring Lane near Marsden as it appears on the main site Summer Wine map . Thank you in advance for any information .
Hi Captain,
It is where it appears on the locations map,but its not in Marsden,
Come out of Holmfirth past Ashley Jacksons shop on your right and the Wrinkled Stocking tea room on your left,up Woodhead road,
About a mile along this road turn left down Co-Op Lane and after a couple of hundred yards the lane goes over the river and Edies house is right in front of you,go to the left past Edies on Spring Lane and the place where the garage was is quite close,near enough for Wesley to hear Edie calling him :)
Don't know if its technically Holmfirth or Holmbridge,but its not a long walk from the centre of Holmfirth,
Take care,Pete.

Great pic, looks a bit sad without the shed there though. I had a wander around there last year and took a few pics outside the houses but as i've mentioned before i feel a little self conscious wandering about past peoples homes looking for some of the locations, even with my dogs

Thanks for the recent photos-keep 'em coming. We hope to get over the border into Holmfirth in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Ferret,it does look sad without the garage doesn't it,the house where Wesleys garage is,that I had my back to when I took the photo,was completely empty,so the lane was quiet,so I could pause there a while and think about all the great memories that took place right just there,but I know what you mean,its why I didn't take a photo of Barry and Glendas house recently when I went past,and its the same when I took the photos of Edies,and Howards,they're peoples homes now and I'm always really aware of that,its why I got permission first to take some photos of Seymours house,thanks for your photos too,I love to see the photos people take.
Pete.

Where Wesley's shed was, today

Ferret/Pete,

Thank you so much for the information and photos fully understand the trepidation about photographing peoples homes the plus side is we get to see great photographs of the locations for the show, the downside is the invasion of privacy . I assume the people occupying properties involved in the filming of TV series must know their history when they purchase them . I must agree with the ethos that you should ask permission and accept the position if it were to be refused.

I suppose Nora's and Compo's houses don't really have that issue as they are not effectively in private ownership or family homes but the same cannot be said for Glenda/Barrie's, Howard/Pearl's , Hobbo's etc . I am fascinated how the BBC, in this case, and TV companies select locations and how they presumably come to financial arrangements to utilise these properties . There a hundreds of lanes with houses in the area of Holmfirth/Holmbridge how did they happen to select Spring Lane to locate Wesley's shed .

The BBC ran a great show some years ago which was rerun by UKTV on Gold called Comedy Connections which took a look at some of the great shows of that era and dissected how they various actors/producers arrived to star in those productions unfortunately, very little was included regarding how they selected locations for the external shots , sure there is a programme in that . I was on a coach holiday recently in Brighton and Driver was very well informed as we travelled around he knew a lot about the locations of various films and shows which really enhanced the whole holiday . It was great to stand by and photograph the pond from the film Genevieve and to see the Blue plaque on the house Max Miller lived in for most of his life in Brighton

What a great post Captain,when I went to see Seymours house I spoke for a while with Deborah,the owner,(who's on this forum-eyup) and they knew of the history of the place,and the family were lovely and didn't mind at all me taking photograhs,but they said they often get people just driving up their long drive and stopping outside their house,when I saw Howards house,the house that was Cleggys had been for sale and the builders were in,surely the new owners must know of its past,the same with Aunties shop and all the other locations,the house right next to the site of Wesleys shed was stripped completely bare with no occupants,its only a narrow track and no pavement so its only a few feet across,I wonder if the people that move in are aware that to some of us,its a special place.It would be interesting to hear about how the decisions to film at certain locations are made,a similar point was made when I posted a photo of the hairdressers used in Still Open All Hours,and about them having to repeatedly move out when filming takes place,Lovely to hear how your holiday was made special by the locations you visited,I love that too,even visiting the Summerwine locations like pausing outside Aunties shop and thinking of all the people that stood there,and all the other locations,I remember comedy connections,really enjoyed it,remember seeing the Hi-De-Hi one with Paul Shane,who lived in my town,
Thanks for your comments,I won't put any photos up for a while as I'v overdone it a bit and taken over the photo section,but I do the walks anyway,and take the photos for myself,and I just like to share them,especially for the forum members that don't or can't visit,will be away from the forum for a short while as I have a very long run of very long shifts which mean my life will be work and sleep in the foreseeable future,I have a couple of walks in mind for in a month or two,one from Holmfirth with the bridge and scenes from follow that bottle,and another from above Jackson Bridge where lots of filming took place,especially all the lanes with fields and stone walls,
Thanks again and all the best,Pete.

Where's Wesley's shed was, today

You have my deepest sympathy for working long shifts prior to retiring I worked 12 hour shifts 4 nights /4 days on and your body clock is completely shot . You mention Hi de Hi written by Croft and Perry who probably push Roy Clarke for writing some of the Best British comedies . I have the series on DVD but noted that the BBC are repeating on BBC2 daily . Having been on several holidays as a kid to the Butlins camps I love the series and how they captured the essence of what the camps where , remember all of the competitions glamorous granny, knobbly knees et al and panicking because I could not decide which activity I should go to next because often they clashed . I love the way Perry embellished the activities in the competition whose got he biggest bottom , who can get the most custard down the trousers . I for one Pete would love you to post as many photographs as you can whilst I am hoping to get down to Holmfirth this year if for some reason I cannot it is great to see the scenes in print on the forum , thank you again for taking the time to take the photographs and posting them

Back