What's your favourite episode?

There were certain lines you just didn't cross. Marina and Howard had an acceptable relationship because they always failed and Pearl was always there to reel him back in. Tom with a live in partner crossed that line. I think that Tom would have been ok appearing by himself at first.

A superb line from Nora the other day talking of Barry

'No good comes from promotion

They start turning their nose up at salad cream and want French dressing'

Simply superb:18:

There were certain lines you just didn't cross. Marina and Howard had an acceptable relationship because they always failed and Pearl was always there to reel him back in. Tom with a live in partner crossed that line. I think that Tom would have been ok appearing by himself at first.

I wonder if Roy Clarke had the idea to have a partner for Tom who would constantly nag him that she no longer wanted to live "in an old bus" and wanted to put roots down in her own house so ultimately he could create the situation of moving them into Tom's dad's place next to Nora. It would thus allow the situation of both women fighting over Tom with each trying to outdo each other in not only what they can do for Tom but also all things domestic chores . We know Nora is extremely house proud and has set ways of doing things ,Mrs Avery offers contrast by bringing in methods Nora finds abhorrent.

So many favorites that I can't pick just one. Among some of my current favorites are...

All Mod Conned -- I love those scenes at the beach, which I think were at Spurn Point.

The Man From Oswestry -- The introduction of Foggy. Him getting his scarf caught up in the cart wheel was hilarious!

From Wellies To Wet Suit -- I understand this was one of Bill Owen's favorite episodes too.

The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper / Cheering Up Gordon -- Not sure which episode it was where the waitress in the boarding house cleared Compo's plate from the table and said, "Does he eat the bones too?" LOL!

Whoops! -- When Chuffer Enright points at a spot on his knee and says, "Does everybody have this little knobbly thing?" And then the trio come out of Chuffer's shed with their pant legs rolled up past their knees! That's always good for a few laughs!

In The Service Of Humanity -- Foggy's mishaps in that episode were classic especially when he unwittingly took a ladder from a roofer and left him stranded.

The Seymour years were my favourite era Micheal Aldridge was a great addition to SW. Most of these episodes I really like.

Full Steam Behind as filmed very near to where I live and Crums - because I am a CRUM, third place an episode somewhere between nos 1 - 295

I agree with Andrew D about picking a favourite episode. I keep changing my mind after viewing some more episodes.

I have to admit a soft spot for Truly as he differed from Foggy and Seymour in that he had a more 'wicked' sense of humour to the other two. He loved setting Howard up and I did enjoy his antics, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy the other two. I think all the characters brought something to the series but I have to say I thought Barry and Glenda's character's got a bit silly for my liking with Glenda 'over-worried' about Barry. Their characters seemed to be weak in comparison to the older generation and a little dated as Glenda never appeared to work - unusual for a woman of her generation and too much time on her hands to worry about Barry all the time. But perhaps you"ll see it differently to me.

I simply could not pick a favourite . I agree to an extent about Barrie and Glenda, I suppose in the context of the other couples and the way the ladies trained their men to be obedient and totally under control , Barrie and Glenda's relationship offered a contrast to that traditional view and initially represented " the new way". However, Roy Clarke never took it far enough away from the old " Husband works as the breadwinner Wife doesn't work and looks after the family home " which is as you say Maggie dates it terribly when you look at modern life .

I suppose when Ivy, Nora , Edie and Pearl took every opportunity to sow the seeds of doubt in Glenda's mind that what Barrie did or what Glenda allowed him to do would only lead to him being involved with another woman would make Glenda insecure . I suppose Roy Clarke was effectively trying to show that the older ladies were saying it is their way or no way in the context of marriage and they railed against the change that Glenda and Barrie represented.

Regarding Barry and Glenda, I think their unusual (for the depicted culture) relationship helped to all-the-more emphasize and contrast the particulars of the BattleAxe women. The contrast in the ladies' discussions of marriage etc showing how they did not understand nor agree despite their close bonds of friendship made it all the more comical, and gave the audience something stronger to anchor to in identifying ourselves with it.

I can't choose a favourite episode as I keep changing my mind about it! I've got favourite incidents from episodes but I must admit that I found Glenda and Barry's plots and attitudes got sillier as the series progressed. Glenda was frequently crying over Barry's alleged affairs /disappearances etc and I found/find that her character is completely out of touch with women of around her age. Also the fact that she didn't need to or want to work is unusual for women of our generation
I can't think that she is representative of our generation whereas the older women were probably more representative of their generation. I'd far prefer Howard and Pearl's input - far funnier and dynamic.

Back