What were they thinking of!

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
So, about a year ago our local council spent many thousands of pounds replacing the guttering to all the properties in our terrace. All hail our council :)

What they failed to do, in their (non-) wisdom was to remove all the accumulated moss on the roofs, the moss the local birds like to use in their nests. So, a year later and the council find they need to clean out all the very blocked guttering.
The bit that makes me cry is that it can only be done when the entire Terrace has scaffolding installed, front and back, because of health and safety. No 'one man and his ladder' any more. They'll probably end up paying more money for all the pre-preperation this time than they spent replacing the guttering in the first place.
BLOODY MORONS!!!

My favourite Bernard Cribbins song fits

"Right" said Fred gotta get that moss down
Take it easy, steady as we go
Tried to shift it couldn't even lift it
We was getting nowhere
and so we had a cuppa tea and....

"Right" said Fred " Give a shout for Charlie"
Up comes Charlie from the ground below
All that faffin birds were bloody laffin
we was getting nowhere
and so we had a cuppa tea

I was working at a clients house the other week and a chap turned up to clean out the gutters. He had a large vacuum that had a pipe with an angled head on it that slotted into the gutter. Turned it on and moved along sucking out all the debris. Great bit of kit.

I think here they would use a "cherry picker"
Because of the layout of the terrace, which is on multiple levels with the only vehicular access 40 feet (vertical) below the level of the terrace, this would not work.
I was working at a clients house the other week and a chap turned up to clean out the gutters. He had a large vacuum that had a pipe with an angled head on it that slotted into the gutter. Turned it on and moved along sucking out all the debris. Great bit of kit.
They need to remove the moss from the roof (tiles) as well, so a bit more complicated.

What are the tiles made of?

Cleaning a tiled roof can be disastrous - and never use a pressure washer.

The pressure washer can seriously remove the colour and the integrity of the tiles.

I think here they would use a "cherry picker" which is a small crane with a bucket at the top for a man to stand in and work from at a height, they also use them to repair telephone lines. It would take one machine and two men and a platoon of orange safety cones.
Don't forget the numerous H&S forms and plans to close the road as well.

Because of the layout of the terrace, which is on multiple levels with the only vehicular access 40 feet (vertical) below the level of the terrace, this would not work.

They need to remove the moss from the roof (tiles) as well, so a bit more complicated.
That is a problem. Perhaps we could install a goat or two on the roof to eat the moss. Just kidding of course, but it sounds like the hyper-ecological minded reasoning that probably led to the moss being left on the roof in the first place; We wouldn't want to deprive the birds of their handy nest building material, never mind the inconvenience to the human beings nesting below.

They did this on an old outbuilding ( stables) They went up a cat ladder and stood on the roof with a pressure washer, moving from top to bottom … rather them than me.

Back