Wally Batty,legend.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else feel that Wally was a much underrated character throughout the series?I can remember him having some wonderful lines.There was one episode,I cant say which one it was where Nora was inside the house painting and Wally was outside cleaning the paintbrushes.Either Compo or Clegg happens by as Nora shouts out that she needs a brush as she`s changing colour.Wally says "She`s changing colour now,it`s just one giddy sensation after another `round here". One of the best lines ever.Can anyone say which episode this was?I`m sure someone knows.

Does anyone else feel that Wally was a much underrated character throughout the series?I can remember him having some wonderful lines.There was one episode,I cant say which one it was where Nora was inside the house painting and Wally was outside cleaning the paintbrushes.Either Compo or Clegg happens by as Nora shouts out that she needs a brush as she`s changing colour.Wally says "She`s changing colour now,it`s just one giddy sensation after another `round here". One of the best lines ever.Can anyone say which episode this was?I`m sure someone knows.

I think that episode was Set the people free from the Seymour era of the show.Hope this helps.

Yes it was Set The People Free, that is an amazing episode, and yes I feel the same way Wally was a great character and I wish he had been in more scenes he was so funny.

Watched The Phantom yesterday and poor old Wally was forced on a picnic ,he realy seemed to be enjoying himself and Nora was doing her usual shouting .Such a mild mannered man he must have been been in a daze when Nora bullied him up the aisle and he wouldnt have dared to say no! Nora announced that she stodged him and that kept him quiet and under her thumb.

I started as a fan who particularly liked the 2000-2007 era. It still might be my favorite times but my recent viewing from 1973-1998 has caused me to appreciate the early years much much more.

In the old forum, Sid and Wally were always highly praised. I didn't understand it. I thought they were "just OK". Now, I learned to "like" Sid more but I learned to "love" Wally. Yes, he is such a great character!!!!

Sharing some of my previous thoughts, Wally was always good but things really picked up in Series 8 with The Mysterious Feet Of Nora Batty and Keeping Britain Tidy. Wally and Nora really shined then. This is when I brought up my thought that, they truly are the funniest couple in Television history. I can't think of any couple funnier. Of course, another great moment was in Edie and the Automobile when Nora was so worried that she lost Wally and she had the warmest smile when she found him with the dog on the front steps. I think some warm music added to that scene. Then in a split second, she berates him! Another great moment.

Yes it was Set The People Free, that is an amazing episode, and yes I feel the same way Wally was a great character and I wish he had been in more scenes he was so funny.

I also mentioned this before. Set the People Free is definitely in my top five all time favorite episodes (arguably my first or second favorite).

Watched The Phantom yesterday and poor old Wally was forced on a picnic ,he realy seemed to be enjoying himself and Nora was doing her usual shouting .Such a mild mannered man he must have been been in a daze when Nora bullied him up the aisle and he wouldnt have dared to say no! Nora announced that she stodged him and that kept him quiet and under her thumb.

If we believe First of the Summer Wine, Wally really loved Nora, she was horrible to him even then, but he still chased her.

If we believe First of the Summer Wine, Wally really loved Nora, she was horrible to him even then, but he still chased her.

Yes Sue, that's my thoughts too everyone keeps saying "Poor Wally Nora was rotten to him" but she was rotten to him when he was chasing her and he still married her so secretly I think he loved it. :)

I've always seen Wally as a complete legend. Always miserable, yet a brilliant accessory to Nora. The classic scenes with him being pushed with a load of shopping bags and letting her get insulted. And his pigeons were a great asset too, when he ignores Nora and talks to the trio about one of his pigeons 'Going to be a dream'. Then in 'Whoops' he says 'Go on, think of your own pleasures first'. Plus when he ignores Nora standing on the table in 'The Flag and Further Snags' and talks about his pigeons.

True legend, very sad that he died early.

I love Wally - I agree he had some wonderful lines. I like when she is trapped under the bed and he is taking advantage of the situation and enjoying a drink at the pub :eek:

His cheeky one-liners were brilliantly written and brilliantly acted:

Clegg: "You must have been irresistible".
Wally: "I was".

and:

"It must have been part of my fatal charm".

He did what he had to do, no more, no less, one of the old school actors, who didn't overdo it.

G ; )

Back