Vinyl comeback

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I went in HMV for the first time in years today and it brought back memories of my visits there in my youth to buy the latest albums. But what really amazed me is that vinyl records seem to be making a major comeback. Apparently they sell more records than they do CD's today, I'm even tempted to buy myself a record player again after decades of getting rid of my last on for what I thought would be the last time!

I know a lot of audiophiles say that vinyl has a better quality sound than any digital format, just wish I hadn't been so quick to ditch my record collection now....

Took me a moment to figure out what "HMV "stood for. Had momentarily forgotten about His Master's Voice with the dog and the gramophone. The thread title had me thinking Her Majesty's Vinyl but now with the recent Coronation it just might be His Majesty's Vinyl.

On second thought... Her Majesty's Vinyl would have been a really cool name for a record store. :)

Took me a moment to figure out what "HMV "stood for. Had momentarily forgotten about His Master's Voice with the dog and the gramophone. The thread title had me thinking Her Majesty's Vinyl but now with the recent Coronation it just might be His Majesty's Vinyl.

On second thought... Her Majesty's Vinyl would have been a really cool name for a record store. :)
It was once one of the major music stores in the UK, then it went the same way as Blockbuster with most stores shutting with the rise of streaming music. But certainly in my local town Shrewsbury and I'm sure others they are reopening after closing in the town years back. It's lovely to see a renaissance in vinyl is driving this. Is vinyl becoming more popular again over your side of the pond Rick?

I used to love going through the second hand vinyl stores looking for hard to find records. Back before the days of the internet and all things going digital. I do feel there is a niche for vinyl in the audiophile circles who feel it is a purer form than CD's. I still like music but not as much as I used to, sad to say. Maybe others can chime in as I am sure they might know more about what is going on currently than myself.

I used to love going through the second hand vinyl stores looking for hard to find records. Back before the days of the internet and all things going digital. I do feel there is a niche for vinyl in the audiophile circles who feel it is a purer form than CD's. I still like music but not as much as I used to, sad to say. Maybe others can chime in as I am sure they might know more about what is going on currently than myself.
I'm with you on that one Rick, one of my favorite quotes which sums me up perfectly is that of Homers dad from The Simpsons, when he says I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you! :p

Lol Don't look at me, I don't know why records are coming back either. I'm almost 30, I'm only semi with it now! Lol Maybe I can ask Joey's niece, Sorenity, next time I babysit her. She's 10, she might know! Lol

Vinyl seems excessively expensive and anyone remembers the sheer deflation of accidentally scratching your favourite album detracts from buying it . In my local HMV they had an offer in the window 3 albums for £55 which is quite costly in my book given the damage risk . I felt I had paid my dues I have a few hundred vinyl album originals, four hundred plus singles , well over 2000 cd's and 400 plus cassettes in Pickford's storage so now settled on Spotify at under a tenner a month and no scratches.

One benefit of buying Albums years ago was the covers and inserts that came with some albums,some had the words printed on the sleeve, it was a fine art getting the stylus between tracks, fortunes could be spent getting the best audio equipment, and there was always something new coming out that sounded a little better, when I get time I must tell you about a famous footballer who I was doing some telephone extensions in his home and he asked me to look at his hifi

I still have all my old vinyl, mainly punk and a hundred or so cassettes. I have a couple of ghetto blasters that I play the tapes on and an old school tape player in the campervan.
I have to admit to not playing the vinyl as I prefer to watch/ listen on YouTube although I do get them out to look at the packaging etc.
Just off out to adjust my Squarial!

My mom has a lot of vinyls but no record player. She use to have one but I think she either sold it or something happened to it in the process of moving from our old house to the one we're in now because I vaguely remember looking at it when I was little at our old house, but I don't remember ever seeing it again at this house but I was 4 when we moved here so I could be misremembering.

Vinyl seems excessively expensive and anyone remembers the sheer deflation of accidentally scratching your favourite album detracts from buying it . In my local HMV they had an offer in the window 3 albums for £55 which is quite costly in my book given the damage risk . I felt I had paid my dues I have a few hundred vinyl album originals, four hundred plus singles , well over 2000 cd's and 400 plus cassettes in Pickford's storage so now settled on Spotify at under a tenner a month and no scratches.
I noticed that too when I was in HMV, when I used to buy a new album every week in the early 90's Vinyl was always cheaper than CD by around 25%. I'm guessing it's down to pure economies of scale, the more people who buy vinyl the lower the cost will be. I'm fairly sure vinyl will never return to mainstream adoption but it's great to see it having a small renaissance.

I too have a Spotify subscription which is well worth the tenner a month fee IMO. I'm also wondering whether a video equivalent will ever come out with pretty much every film and TV series ever made on demand?

Well, I have a stereo with a cassette slot, an eight track tape slot, a record player, and a radio. As the volume is wacky, perhaps it's time to replace it.

I have Spotify too. Or when I'm doing assignments, I'll usually have a YouTube tab open on my laptop playing music. Except for right now, I'm struggling to write a paper and I'm listening to a video of someone talking about fanfiction. Lol

Back