Variations on Road Rage

Here in Oklahoma, we were notified by letter that they were putting in smart meters, but we've not received any reader or device to plug in. Wish we would have that.

Still have the original "dumb" meters here. They have been installing smart meters in the Eastern States and have been hinting about installing them here in West Oz. There is a resistance to them here as it appears whenever a smart meter is installed the electricity bill (already ridiculously high) for that household jumps DRAMATICALLY!

Captain, I don't know whether I am looking forward to or dreading the new RD series, will just have to wait and see if it follows or bucks the trend of other recent series (i.e. usually Kr@p)
Here is a question a fan will know the answer to and which will drive any Americans reading and who haven't seen Red Dwarf crazy!.."Who really shot JFK from the grassy knoll?" :thumbsdown::08:

Well I said I was a fan, JFK killed JFK, dressed as a Policeman from the Grassy Knoll and as Lister put it " It will drive the conspiracy theorists nuts" , all in a days work for Lister and the boys from the Dwarf in his quest for a Curry! ;)

I'm watching my smart readings throughout the day at the moment! I expect the novelty will wear off but I am keen to know how much I'm using each day and I'll have to wait till the next bill comes in before I know if it's risen in price at all, but I thought the whole point of the 'smart' meter was for the individual to have more control over what they're spending. I can see that the days I've used the oven for a while the usage has spiked considerably, so the reader is really useful.

Well I said I was a fan, JFK killed JFK, dressed as a Policeman from the Grassy Knoll and as Lister put it " It will drive the conspiracy theorists nuts" , all in a days work for Lister and the boys from the Dwarf in his quest for a Curry! ;)
OK, I am TOTALLY LOST. What brought this on? I have a really vague impression that Red Dwarf is a TV show which espouses a strange sense of humor??? For the record, Lee Harvey Oswald was determined to be the assassin and there is lots of controversy swirling around that terrible day.

Adanor, you are of course correct and the show Red Dwarf is a comedy science fiction show which has achieved a cult status. For the record the show was not making fun at the death of Kennedy but at the conspiracy theorists.
It was only 1 particular episode from a whole series of shows made over 20 odd years and actually dealt with Kennedy very sympathetically. It is a complicated, and when watched, hilarious (well us fans think so)! story.

This particular show while having the shooting of Kennedy as a major part of it was not in fact ABOUT it. At the risk of making things even more confusing the episode involved time travel, alternative universes and a quest by one of the main characters
(from the future) travelling back in time in a quest for a Curry when the space ship "Red Dwarf" runs out.

In so doing they accidently arrive in the Texas Book Depository and nudge Lee Harvey as he is about to shoot, causing him to miss. After more to-ing and fro-ing Kennedy ends up surviving the assassination attempt and history is changed as a result.
In the new reality Kennedy eventually ends up impeached and thrown in jail for his womanizing and other such misdemeanors he was famous for, resulting in him being remembered as a criminal and the whole future as we know it is changed for the worse...remember this is light comedy! so the whole thing is done "Tongue in cheek"

To make a long story short, to "fix" things the Kennedy from the "new" reality is told of the situation and agrees to brought back in time to the grassy knoll where he shoots HIMSELF in the car thereby resetting the timeline to normal.

There is a LOT more to the story but you really need to know all the backstories of the characters and their interactions to get the full impact.

Also remember this is a British show not American so the whole thing may appear somewhat skewed to our American fans. As stated before the humour in this episode is aimed at the conspiracy theorists and there is actually a line from the show which states "it will drive the conspiracy theorists mad"

At the end of the episode Lister (the character looking for a curry) is STILL looking!!

NOTE: apologies to RD fans, I know the above does not do the show justice and misses out a considerable amount but I needed to explain that the Kennedy assassination itself was not the focus for the humour.

OK back to normal transmission and stories about 3 blokes from Yorkshire!:laugh:

Re-reading this thread, it occurs to me that Red Dwarf isn't as mad as it seems, sure one of the main characters has 3 sons, 2 of which HE gave birth to and the third IS him, a second character is dead and a third is a CAT! BUT.....
While that seems mad, consider the evolution of this thread. It started with a minor rant about some roadworks and has metamorphosed into a discussion about a 3rd party TV show, Electricity meters and the assassination of Kennedy!

If that isn't weird in concept, what about a comedy TV show about 3 old men wandering the hills of Yorkshire?? LOL :13:

Adanor, you are of course correct and the show Red Dwarf is a comedy science fiction show which has achieved a cult status. For the record the show was not making fun at the death of Kennedy but at the conspiracy theorists.
It was only 1 particular episode from a whole series of shows made over 20 odd years and actually dealt with Kennedy very sympathetically. It is a complicated, and when watched, hilarious (well us fans think so)! story.

This particular show while having the shooting of Kennedy as a major part of it was not in fact ABOUT it. At the risk of making things even more confusing the episode involved time travel, alternative universes and a quest by one of the main characters
(from the future) travelling back in time in a quest for a Curry when the space ship "Red Dwarf" runs out.

In so doing they accidently arrive in the Texas Book Depository and nudge Lee Harvey as he is about to shoot, causing him to miss. After more to-ing and fro-ing Kennedy ends up surviving the assassination attempt and history is changed as a result.
In the new reality Kennedy eventually ends up impeached and thrown in jail for his womanizing and other such misdemeanors he was famous for, resulting in him being remembered as a criminal and the whole future as we know it is changed for the worse...remember this is light comedy! so the whole thing is done "Tongue in cheek"

To make a long story short, to "fix" things the Kennedy from the "new" reality is told of the situation and agrees to brought back in time to the grassy knoll where he shoots HIMSELF in the car thereby resetting the timeline to normal.

There is a LOT more to the story but you really need to know all the backstories of the characters and their interactions to get the full impact.

Also remember this is a British show not American so the whole thing may appear somewhat skewed to our American fans. As stated before the humour in this episode is aimed at the conspiracy theorists and there is actually a line from the show which states "it will drive the conspiracy theorists mad"

At the end of the episode Lister (the character looking for a curry) is STILL looking!!

NOTE: apologies to RD fans, I know the above does not do the show justice and misses out a considerable amount but I needed to explain that the Kennedy assassination itself was not the focus for the humour.

OK back to normal transmission and stories about 3 blokes from Yorkshire!:laugh:
Thanks for the explanation. It was very informative.

Back