Uncle of the Bride

Beth

Dedicated Member
I just watched Uncle of the Bride for the first time and the funniest part in my opinion was when Wally was breaking in his squeaky shoes. Watching his legs cracked me up. He must have been a great dancer seeing how limber he was.

What was your favorite part?

Of course, I love the comedy in that episode and I immediately took a strong liking to Seymour. Oddly, though, my favorite scenes are the opening views of early morning life in Holmfirth — the newspaper boy delivering the paper to the houses along the area between South Lane and the short flight of steps next to the cafe (am I remembering correctly that that scene is from that special?) and the Post lady delivering the mail to the terrace of cottages at the intersection of New Row and Rotcher Road. Those scenes evoke the coziness and security of the idealized home for me, even though Holmfirth has never been my home, and I relax straight into the fun of the episode.

I think my favorite scene is where the three men are individually getting ready to go to the stag party with Barry and it ends with Compo and that terrible jacket and hat he wears. It's just so inappropriate and exactly what you would expect him to put on for a social event absent a "third man" there to keep him in line.

I like the whole episode but a real favourite bit for me is when Seymour removes the chock from the painters trolly and he passes them on the bus

Great episode brilliant all the way through Clegg reversing into the pond ,Barry down a hole,Seymour came over as good character and the comment by Clegg at the end all in all a very good episode.

I find this special totally enjoyable from start to finish
I agree, there isn't a single scene I don't enjoy in this episode. One that seems special to me though is when Clegg backs into the pond. Although the scene was planned, a stunt man was supposed to put the car in the pond, not Clegg. The fact that he actually drove the car into the pond and surprised everyone, including himself, makes that scene especially enjoyable.

I agree, there isn't a single scene I don't enjoy in this episode. One that seems special to me though is when Clegg backs into the pond. Although the scene was planned, a stunt man was supposed to put the car in the pond, not Clegg. The fact that he actually drove the car into the pond and surprised everyone, including himself, makes that scene especially enjoyable.

It's not clear to me what was supposed to originally happen in that scene. Bill Owens comments in the anniversary special make it sound like it was all an accident they later incorporated. Alan Bell in his book says Peter Sallis was just supposed to drop the back wheels into the water but went much further in. Bell also says they filmed the wide shot of the car going in much later, meaning it was not the plan when they were filming originally.

Last edited:
Wonderful special this, from start to finish.

This is a 'feel good' episode. The sun is shining, Wesley's got a wreck of a car made from a load of old railway bridges, Wally's pining for a whippet, and they go on that brilliant stag night.

The show was at it's peak at this point, and despite the departure of Foggy, the show is still on fine form.

Although this was carefully written to introduce Seymour, I'm sure it still could have been adapted had Foggy still been around.

I always say it, but Brian Wilde must have been kicking himself when he watched this one.

I just watched Uncle of the Bride for the first time and the funniest part in my opinion was when Wally was breaking in his squeaky shoes. Watching his legs cracked me up. He must have been a great dancer seeing how limber he was.

What was your favorite part?
My favorite part was Cleggy driving into the drink.

Back