They just don't get it...do they?

Blue summer

Dedicated Member
I've just been reading some of the public comments on the various news pages about the ending of Summer wine.
Most people are sad about it but there are quite a few distasteful remarks about how it should have been axed years ago.
Some of the comments range from "three old men in a bathtub" to " a group of women drinking tea together"!
I have to assume that these people really haven't watched the programme in depth, understood how the various actors roles interact with each other.
Cleggy's one-liners for instance, or how Barry was terrified by Edie Pegden, or the way she made Wesley wait by the door, until she had the newspapers laid for him.

Unless you have watched the programme long enough to become acquainted with the cast and how they work within the different episodes, becoming fond of them for their own quaint takes on how the roles work within the storylines, then i'm afraid that these people have unfortunately not been blessed with the same sense of humour that us "wino's" have, should we pity them?

G ; )

you are quite right you have to understand the characters and their role in the programme to grasp the full situation of the programme

There were not that many baths running down a hill, quite a few escapades involving going down hill but - it is Yorkshire after all and what should we expect but hills?!

The critic have never listened to the dialogue - a finely honed rendition of the way people speak and are. All those wonderful liens by Cleggy.

And of coruse, who is not terrified of Yorkshire Woman?

To say that LOTSW is just old Men messing about or old Women drinking tea is like saying that the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is just ham fisted daubing.

Back