The wrong Wally?

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
As I'm sure many know, Nora wasn't originally supposed to be a major character on Last of the Summer Wine. She wasn't really supposed to appear after the pilot opening scene, but test audiences liked her so Roy Clarke used her in a few episodes of Series 1 and the rest is history.

In the pilot her husband is referred to as "Harold" by Compo and Wally doesn't make an appearance until Series 2. However, one of the episodes in Series 1 that Nora does appear in is "Spring Fever." Early in the episode the trio are leaving a pub when what appears to be Nora enters and then drags out a man (not Wally) who is still holding his drink.

Is that Kathy Staff as Nora? Sure looks like it. So that would be the mythical Harold being dragged out, right? Makes you wonder about Nora, ha ha!

As I'm sure many know, Nora wasn't originally supposed to be a major character on Last of the Summer Wine. She wasn't really supposed to appear after the pilot opening scene, but test audiences liked her so Roy Clarke used her in a few episodes of Series 1 and the rest is history.

In the pilot her husband is referred to as "Harold" by Compo and Wally doesn't make an appearance until Series 2. However, one of the episodes in Series 1 that Nora does appear in is "Spring Fever." Early in the episode the trio are leaving a pub when what appears to be Nora enters and then drags out a man (not Wally) who is still holding his drink.

Is that Kathy Staff as Nora? Sure looks like it. So that would be the mythical Harold being dragged out, right? Makes you wonder about Nora, ha ha!

I assumed it was Harold before he got replaced by Wally. Talking of Wally, there was a recent episode where they referred to a character with the name Gladwin, which may have been a subtle nod to Joe Gladwin.

It's obviously meant to be Wally, before they'd chosen the actor and changed his name.

The script book states: Approaching pub -- our three observe a determined Mrs Batty steam inside and almost immediately re-emerge propelling her husband homewards still clutching his pint mug.

I assumed it was Harold before he got replaced by Wally. Talking of Wally, there was a recent episode where they referred to a character with the name Gladwin, which may have been a subtle nod to Joe Gladwin.
I have noticed there is usually a reference to the character about 10 years after the actor dies. There was a clear tribute to Gordon Wharmby in one of the very later episodes when there was a street sign in the background that said Wharmby Street.

Well, I always knew it was Nora, but as the male actor wasn't Joe Gladwin, I was left wondering who Nora pulled out of the pub with such force. I then was left wondering who else Nora could do that to if it wasn't her husband. So, I like to believe it was Wally, even if it wasn't actually meant to be Wally himself.

Which pub was it by the way?

Gladwin Allsop... his wife had a beard.

Well, I always knew it was Nora, but as the male actor wasn't Joe Gladwin, I was left wondering who Nora pulled out of the pub with such force. I then was left wondering who else Nora could do that to if it wasn't her husband. So, I like to believe it was Wally, even if it wasn't actually meant to be Wally himself.

Which pub was it by the way?

Elephant and Castle in Hollowgate, Nora's house is just around the corner to the right, so she's dragging him in the wrong direction.

Yes, that was supposed to be Nora's husband being dragged out of the pub. It's confirmed in the book Last of the Summer Wine Scripts, which appears to be the original scripts as they do vary in places to the actual programmes. In the book, it's Wally, not Harold.

Back