The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg

Dan

Since the passing of Compo it's been difficult to enjoy subsequent series. Until now. I've reached series 25. Some members don't like it and it's not my favourite episode but I am very impressed with the acting, writing and production of 'The Secret Birthday of Norman Clegg'. So very different. Admittedly it was mostly filmed on location, has many extra actors and that does add a lot to that impression. In the opening scene Cleggy, I thought, spoke his lines kind of differently too as if he was speaking as Peter Sallis.

I really liked the episode. Was good to see a Clegg focused episode. Nice to see them all rally around him to celebrate once they found out it was Norm's birthday.

Agree that watching past the Compo finally can be difficult at first. But you still have all the rest of the wonderful cast in full charm along with some really good writing to carry you through.

Yeah I think that was a good episode too. It was both heartwarming and funny because all he wanted was a quiet meal with a friend and everyone kind of ended up celebrating with him but I think that was sweet of everyone.

I've commented on this episode before and I have to admit I found it rather surreal when I first saw it. You're right it is quite different from the other episodes. It's fair to say the attraction of LOTSW is it's very gentle and not much really happens in each episode, but in this on nothing really did happen!

Here you go found my old thread which you may find interesting Dan

One of the best post-Compo episodes.

And nice to see an occasional change in the usual format.

(Although it seems everyone was invited to the wedding EXCEPT Clegg and Truly, which makes little sense.

How old is Clegg in this episode?

The episode was made in 2002, to be shown in 2003.

In First of the Summer Wine, Clegg turned 18 in 1939, meaning he was born in 1921.

In Last Post and Pigeon, we see his school friend Compo's passport shows he was born in 1923.

So, with perhaps a little bit of artistic licence, I like to think Clegg was celebrating his 80th bithday.

I like that he snuck out wearing a dress. I have always tried to see the good in all of the episodes, it had to be hard to keep the show fresh after so many main characters had gone? I enjoy the final season where Howard pretends to become a tramp, so Pearl will take him back..

Another observation about the episode, Clegg comments on why Truly doesn't ask how old he is. But surely he'd know this already if they went to school together?

Back