The real Yorkshire Bacon Sarnie?

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
Whenever I see the episode where Nora gives Compo a bacon sarnie (sandwich) it puts me in the mood for one. But I realized recently that my idea of what that is probably isn't what Nora gave Compo! When I was growing up here in the US a bacon sandwich was either a BLT or a bacon with either mayo or mustard. Looking it up on Wikipedia the other day I see that butter is common, possibly with ketchup or brown sauce. It never occurred to me to put butter on a bacon sandwich.

So what is the authentic Yorkshire version? What did Nora give Compo?

There are many variations in the UK streaky or back bacon smoked or unsmoked , bun, standard sliced bread , sliced bloomer loaf , barm or stottie cake , tomato or brown sauce, sometimes with mustard sometimes without , the current penchant for all things hot has seen a rise in the use of chilli sauce . It's difficult to tie it down hoping one of the members from Yorkshire will post a response.

I was born and raised in a South Yorkshire mining town,not far from the Summer Wine West Yorkshire Mill towns.A proper bacon sarnie to us is quite clear.
No sliced bread,it has to be on a breadcake.
No butter,each half of the breadcake was dipped in the frying pan fat.
Yorkshire Hendersons Relish (Brown sauce)

I was born and raised in a South Yorkshire mining town,not far from the Summer Wine West Yorkshire Mill towns.A proper bacon sarnie to us is quite clear.
No sliced bread,it has to be on a breadcake.
No butter,each half of the breadcake was dipped in the frying pan fat.
Yorkshire Hendersons Relish (Brown sauce)
That sound's yummy.

There are no butterless sandwiches in my house. Fresh bread, best butter, well cooked bacon and a nice smearing of ketchup. .......... Mmmm I'm hungry now.

There are many variations in the UK streaky or back bacon smoked or unsmoked , bun, standard sliced bread , sliced bloomer loaf , barm or stottie cake , tomato or brown sauce, sometimes with mustard sometimes without , the current penchant for all things hot has seen a rise in the use of chilli sauce . It's difficult to tie it down hoping one of the members from Yorkshire will post a response.

Stottie cake... We have to have our send down here, they don't sell it here. :mad::mad: Heathens. :02:
And pease pudding!

Bacon sarnies for me are butter on the bread ,crispy bacon, sauce not HP ,and a sprinkle of malt vinegar this is the best way and the vinegar adds that extra flavour and the sauce I use now is Stokes its very full of flavour and is thick.

Anyone seen Al Murray's routine as the Pub Landlord where he purports that Bacon has life saving properties. In summary after a really heavy drinking session when you are hugging the toilet having been sick countless times , you have Adamsez in reverse imprinted on your forehead when you have fallen asleep at some point with your head on the bowl and all you can taste is stale beer mixed with toilet duck after you have been sick with your head so far down the bowl on your way back up you manage to lick said toilet duck .

All of sudden you hear the sizzle in the pan and the smell makes its way upstairs and through the bathroom door keyhole and suddenly you don't feel so bad you raise yourself up from the bowl splash cold water on your face brush your teeth and next thing your pulling up the chair to the table faced by the life saving plate of Bacon Sandwiches proof that Bacon can resurrect even the most ailing person and put them on the road to recovery.

I hope this is not speaking from experience Capt?

Certainly not as Bertie Wooster may have said " I have been a bit Squiffie" but never been so drunk that I needed to hug the toilet . I had a work colleague who got pretty close , Newcastle used to have quite a few Treble Bars with three shots of spirit and a mixer for a £1 . We were on a night out and he drank quite a lot , so we poured him in a cab sent him home . Next day we were in work no sign of our colleague tried ringing no answer . The following day he rang , he was still pretty rough , said he had been sick a few times on his floor but that was not the main problem . Whilst he was passed out a brick had come down his chimney and there was soot on the carpet .

In addition to mopping up the sick he had attempted to hoover up the soot which initially went reasonably well until the hoover's bag burst at which point the soot just went everywhere .

A bacon sandwich with butter and ketchup. Maybe I'll even pick up some HP Sauce at Wegman's. Sounds interesting.

When I was growing up, liver and onions was served once a week, every week and my sister could only tolerate this with lots of ketchup.

Every summer when we went to Canada to visit my Dad's family, we came back with bottles of HP Sauce, pails of Golden Syrup, and pails of Strawberry Jam. I ate plenty of the syrup and jam but never got brave enough to try the HP Sauce. Wish now I'd have at least tasted it.

Back