The new forums - features

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
I will be adding to this post over the next couple of days.

1: One of the main areas of confusion appears to be the posting of private messages. One or two of you have been leaving your obviously private messages in the recipients "Profile Posts" section of their Profile page.
These Profile Posts are viewable by any registered member, and are meant only for light chatter.
To message a member privately you need to use the "Conversation" system:
Mouse-Over (hover) your name in the menu bar, and in the drop-down dialogue select "Conversations".
On the page that opens click on the "Start New Conversation" button (lower-right of page) where you will need to add the recipient (participant(s)) user name. When you start typing in the participants box the system will automatically try to help you by offering suggestions (auto-complete) this helps if you are unsure of the members name.
Hope that helps.
p.s. you can add multiple participants to your conversation if you want.

2: This will be about the new Media Gallery. I'll do this one a little later.

3: This will be concerning Avatars

The new Media Gallery has some very powerful features. Every registered member can create their own Albums, and upload images to those Galleries. You can create multiple Galleries if you wish.

The easiest way to create your own gallery is to click on the "Media" button in the menu bar, then on the page that opens, click on the "Add Media" button, near the top-right of that page.
This next bit is important, you then need to highlight the "An Album..." selection, and from the drop-down that appears select "Create An Album...".
In the pop-up that appears you will need to add a name for the new album, and perhaps a short description.
Also you need to decide who has permission to see your new album, so in the drop-down menu next to the entry "View media in album:" you can choose who can see the album.

When you have completed that form you will be taken to the page from where you can add image/video etc.
You have two choices here, either upload an image(s) (one at a time) from your computer, or add a link to an externally hosted image(s).
Always read the dialogues presented to you on the screen, they do make sense and are normally in fairly understandable English (well kinda!).
Don't panic if you make mistakes, thats what I'm here for, just mail me or Terry and we'll put everything right again.

Go ahead, press a few buttons, experiment...... it's FUN!!!

Have things changed from this morning or is it my Browser . To write a reply earlier you had to scroll down to the bottom of the whole page , now the reply box is at the top , not only that some of the recent posts don't show and there is a link in a line that asks View more Posts when you click you get all the latest posts for a thread .

It is really confusing on the Summer Wine A- Z thread because I have been posting what I think is something which is the next letter in sequence when there are other entries which are hidden and so my post is effectively out of step. Thank you for any help with this.

Okay, confusion reigns!
Firstly, if you go to your Preferences (hover mouse over username --> select "Preferences") at the bottom of that dialogue you can choose if the "Thread Display Mode:" displays the newest thread first on the page or last on the page. I will say here that globally any forum software will display the latest post last!

Now, secondly, if you have chosen the display the latest post first (at top of first page) then the Quick Reply will also show at the top of the first page. If you have selected in your preferences to display the latest post last (at bottom of last page) then the quick reply box will also display at the bottom of the page.

Okay, confusion reigns!
Firstly, if you go to your Preferences (hover mouse over username --> select "Preferences") at the bottom of that dialogue you can choose if the "Thread Display Mode:" displays the newest thread first on the page or last on the page. I will say here that globally any forum software will display the latest post last!

Now, secondly, if you have chosen the display the latest post first (at top of first page) then the Quick Reply will also show at the top of the first page. If you have selected in your preferences to display the latest post last (at bottom of last page) then the quick reply box will also display at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for the information very much appreciated . Regarding my point about hidden posts does changing the preference impact on that ? I only ask because I posted a couple of responses to the A-Z thread and quickly had to amend because they were clearly out of step . Whilst it is a minor issue for continuity within threads such as the A-Z incidence it is clearly preferable to see all posted responses . Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Call me a Luddite if you will but surely it is better to have the latest post close by when you answer? You can then cross check to make sure you've not missed a point. "I failed toaster " but I am coming round to liking the reply box at the top of the page with the latest post. As for the A-Z Captain at least 3 times yesterday I had finished typing my 2 pennorth only to find that you or Gill had beaten me to it .C'est la vie !:confused:

Call me a Luddite if you will but surely it is better to have the latest post close by when you answer? You can then cross check to make sure you've not missed a point. "I failed toaster " but I am coming round to liking the reply box at the top of the page with the latest post. As for the A-Z Captain at least 3 times yesterday I had finished typing my 2 pennorth only to find that you or Gill had beaten me to it .C'est la vie !:confused:

Hello Dick,

Its not really about the race to post its basically posting out of step . I had posted a response to one of Gill's posts where a letter was missing . In my inimitable clumsy comedic style I tried to make some fun from it.

The site software had clearly suppressed some of the entries and a link to the hidden posts appeared in the middle of the posts . When you did view them quite clearly my attempt to inject humour was all in vein and I had to remove the post because it was out of step . I am hoping we will get a very much appreciated expedient response .

I think that when you go to recent posts, then click on one of those posts the layout is definitely different in as much as you will only see a limited number of the posts. They are NOT hidden as such.
If you were to go to that same thread (Summerwine A-Z for example) direct from the main forum link all the posts would be displayed over multiple pages, with the latest post displayed first or last, depending on the setting in your Preferences.
I never use the recent threads/posts links so haven't had much experience of the layout. I just trawl each forum.

Hello Dick,

Its not really about the race to post its basically posting out of step . I had posted a response to one of Gill's posts where a letter was missing . In my inimitable clumsy comedic style I tried to make some fun from it.

The site software had clearly suppressed some of the entries and a link to the hidden posts appeared in the middle of the posts . When you did view them quite clearly my attempt to inject humour was all in vein and I had to remove the post because it was out of step . I am hoping we will get a very much appreciated expedient response .
I was not saying about racing to post more about the fact that I am just getting used to the new forum and liking it as it is.If you check some of your comedic posts ,I have" liked " them. I type so slowly at times there could be new posts before I answer. That's life as I said. I will vote to keep the latest post first, reply top or bottom of page I will work with it!:thumbsup:

I was not saying about racing to post more about the fact that I am just getting used to the new forum and liking it as it is.If you check some of your comedic posts ,I have" liked " them. I type so slowly at times there could be new posts before I answer. That's life as I said. I will vote to keep the latest post first, reply top or bottom of page I will work with it!:thumbsup:

Hello Dick,

Please don't take any offence in terms of what I said . I really appreciate the likes others and yourself have posted it is very much welcomed . I was really only trying to understand in the context of the A-Z game why the some of the posts had been condensed and required the use of the view other posts link/button to show them because it has a big impact on posting to that thread . I agree its basically a that's life scenario and we will simply work with whichever way the vote goes . I have to say I am so impressed with the layout of the new site and it is a credit to the sterling work Terry/Tony have done.

No offence taken mate! I may have to practice with the "touch screen" effect that is available on my 'puter.It might make me quicker??:13:

Hello Dick,

Please don't take any offence in terms of what I said . I really appreciate the likes others and yourself have posted it is very much welcomed . I was really only trying to understand in the context of the A-Z game why the some of the posts had been condensed and required the use of the view other posts link/button to show them because it has a big impact on posting to that thread . I agree its basically a that's life scenario and we will simply work with whichever way the vote goes . I have to say I am so impressed with the layout of the new site and it is a credit to the sterling work Terry/Tony have done.

To be honest it is 90% Tony's hard work, but I will be happy to accept most of the credit :01::37:

Back