The mystery of the ONE cream cake ???????

MoodyBlue

Dedicated Member
My fellow Summerwiners......PLEASE HELP ME !!......
When our favourite ladies have their coffee mornings,or when they are in deep discussion in the Cafe why is there only ever ONE BEAUTIFUL MOUTH WATERING MAAAASIVE CREAM CAKE on the plate ????.
Surely there isn't a cream cake shortage in Holmfirth ????...I mean...you could just nip into Huddersfield and bulk buy from a supermarket....
There is always Edie's favourite's...rich tea..[Glenda sometimes buys them for her]...and we know they buy the crunchy ones,because when Edie asked if anyone would like another biscuit Glenda explained that they hadn't finished listening to each other crunching the one they have got....so why only 1 cream cake ?????...maybe it's deeply Freudian ???......and why haven't one of the greatest domineering imposing ladies in West Yorkshire [Ivy,Nora or Pearl] demanded that at the next coffee morning there are a minimum of FIVE BEAUTIFUL MOUTH WATERING MAAAAASIVE CREAM CAKES on the plate !!.
My Summerwine family members........PLEASE EXPLAIN......
X!

They were all on the Slimming World Diet and one huge cream cake was put there to tempt them despite the calorific value . The original idea was to offer them a little treat , the cake was to be divided equally between however many attended the Coffee morning but sadly one their willpowers always caved in and she would woof it down before the others could get their share . IF anyone has time on their hands to watch the episodes or has a fantastic memory about the show we could collate the results of which person ate the most cakes amongst them.

A very nasty incident was avoided with a cream horn after Edie told Glenda to stop talking about her Barry and drink her coffee once too often.

coffee morning.jpg

NB apologies for the poor quality of the pic my editing skills are pretty naff

I think the scores would be pretty even Captain....... I remember one incident when Pearl really attacked her cake.....and half of it fell into her lap !!!...the REAL BEAUTY comes when Ivy and Nora THINK they are going to snatch the cake...it gets whipped away by Pearl or Edie....AND THE LOOK OF ABSOULUTE DISDAIN AND HORROR on their faces when they realise they have missed out is a picture....they then both refuse a biscuit from the tray.

Roger.....you knowledge knows no bounds !!!....once again [and a very confident it will happen again !!!] I bow to your vast Summerwine intellect !!!...if "Mastermind" was still being shown I would bet my house on you getting every question right...you amaze me my friend !!.....and even better......that is my original argument shot to pieces !!!.
X!

I believe it is an ancient Yorkshire custom carried out regularly by housewives at coffee mornings. Whoever manages to get the delicious cream cake holds the next coffee morning at their house. The only problem is it causes distress for certain husband's when trying to keep appointments with a certain young lady.

I think it's sort of a social status type of thing. There is only one of these luscious, more expensive treats, and everyone is watching to see who will rate themselves deserving. It's like the line in Red Dwarf about being down to one of those little mints they put on the pillows in hotels, and everyone is too polite to take it.

Ferret !!!....I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CISSIE AND ADA !!!!......Les Dawson's finest creation !!!!!.....his comic timing and the interaction between him and Roy is absolutely perfect.
They should have had a series commissioned !!!....it would have been fantastic......the writing was absolutely first class....but the magic was brought to life by Les and Roy.
Billy Connolly and Kenny Everett were equally amazing with their Hinge and Brackett parody.......they were so funny that the out takes on Youtube are even funnier than the sketches !!!......you could tell that they really enjoyed working together....they were just laughing all the way through the scenes.
x!

ONE CREAM CAKE............................What was the episode where Nora thinks she 's getting the Cream horn only to find she gets the bottom 2 inches. Someone else gets the rest.!o_O:confused2:

Ferret !!!....I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CISSIE AND ADA !!!!......Les Dawson's finest creation !!!!!.....his comic timing and the interaction between him and Roy is absolutely perfect.
They should have had a series commissioned !!!....it would have been fantastic......the writing was absolutely first class....but the magic was brought to life by Les and Roy.
Billy Connolly and Kenny Everett were equally amazing with their Hinge and Brackett parody.......they were so funny that the out takes on Youtube are even funnier than the sketches !!!......you could tell that they really enjoyed working together....they were just laughing all the way through the scenes.
x!
I couldn’t agree more. I watched the Kenny Everett documentary again recently and the footage is hilarious. I always liked him especially the handyman Reg Prescot :).
Interesting fact no’ 437 is my Uncle had a job in Manchester when he was in his twenties selling vacuum cleaners with Les Dawson. Roy Barraclough is another greatly missed actor. His portrayal of Alec Gilroy in Corrie was fantastic although back in those days they sometimes had episodes written by comedic script writers to get the cracking one liners etc.

I think the one cream cake thing was down to not wanting to spend money,whoever was hosting the coffee morning always tried to make sure they got the one cream cake,leaving the rest of the ladies to share the rich tea biscuits,very funny though.
Moodyblue your posts are so full of enthusiasm and love for our show,thankyou x

Chuffer...the love I have for OUR SHOW pales into insignificance compared to the amazing input you have on this wonderful life changing site !!!.
Quite simply,as I have stated on numerous occasions you are THE LINK between onscreen magic and real life magic !!!.
You bring EVERY SCENE TO LIFE !!!.
Each and everyone of us a truly blessed to have you !!!.......you are a wonderful,funny,selfless devotee !!!!.....
ALL MY LOVE AND RESPECT ALWAYS CHUFFER,
KEITH.
x!

Chuffer...the love I have for OUR SHOW pales into insignificance compared to the amazing input you have on this wonderful life changing site !!!.
Quite simply,as I have stated on numerous occasions you are THE LINK between onscreen magic and real life magic !!!.
You bring EVERY SCENE TO LIFE !!!.
Each and everyone of us a truly blessed to have you !!!.......you are a wonderful,funny,selfless devotee !!!!.....
ALL MY LOVE AND RESPECT ALWAYS CHUFFER,
KEITH.
x!
Thank you so much Keith,you are so lovely,next time my 62 year old legs are struggling up a hill I’ll think of that ❤️

Back