The Death of Conversation

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
58b70b1e-0d23-4dcc-a1e0-73c242b10581_zpsmhablm5h.jpg

Hang on. Are we having tea. No sugar please.
No sugar Amos !!!
I think however posh the café,or even at home,every devotee of this show has a duty to have at least 7 big spoonfulls AND drink it out of the saucer !
(Hope everythings going ok at home and you are chilling to lots of relaxing Summerwine episodes,a good book,and the company of your family,oh and lots of sticky buns and tea-drunk as per the instructions above)

No sugar Amos !!!
I think however posh the café,or even at home,every devotee of this show has a duty to have at least 7 big spoonfulls AND drink it out of the saucer !
(Hope everythings going ok at home and you are chilling to lots of relaxing Summerwine episodes,a good book,and the company of your family,oh and lots of sticky buns and tea-drunk as per the instructions above)
Ha Ha. I have never had sugar in my tea. Have just watched wheelies.

Its sad but true............ And I don't mean the tea.

Cleggy said this about something in an earlier series , (the episode escapes me . :confused:) They were in the café and as usual grumbling about the tea. It was one of Cleggy's witticisms of the earlier years. :22:

I'm with you Big Unc I have no idea why Tea is mentioned [what you been putting in your Rosie Lee Pearl?] I thought that the cartoon referred to the fact that the new arrivals could not get used to not having a phone in their hands and being able to text all day , something they did on earth . Unless I am showing signs of abject stupidity. :30:

Pearl and Dick, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Clegg quote, 'Its sad but true............ And I don't mean the tea.' an affirmation of the unfortunate truth pointed out by the cartoon that started this conversation? As usual, an off-topic subordinate clause (especially one referring to food or beverages) in a very much on-topic response sent us off on an altogether different course. Which points up that the art of conversation is very much alive and well here. We always have something to 'talk' about and I'd be willing to bet that we'd have as much interesting conversation if we could get together in person as we have virtual conversation here.

Marianna

Last edited:
Yes that's true :)
Have you ever tried drinking tea the Compo way though,with or without sugar,
Its not as easy as it looks,if you tip the saucer at much of an angle you will get tea all down your front,my wife goes mad with me,I find the best way is to have the saucer more or less level,at chin height,then ever so slightly tip the saucer at a slight angle and slurp the tea out,rather than pouring it into your mouth,this must be the method Compo used as this will account for the slurping noise,which I now believe he couldn't help as it was the only effective way of drinking the tea from the saucer while avoiding spillage down your front
Its not even that easy pouring the tea into the saucer,I usually get major dripping and a pool of tea,I watched an episode recently and Compo and Norman were having a long conversation at Normans house where he had made him a cup of tea,and three times he returned to Compo's cup filling the saucer each time without spilling a single drop,and it wasn't an empty cup,you could see the tea being poured,he made it look effortless whilst talking,I was really impressed.
Please all try it,especially if in a café,and report back any degrees of success or failure you have,I would be really interested to see how other people get on.
I would love a special report from you Amos,both the pouring, and the drinking from the saucer,while sat on your setee,eating a sticky bun,watching our favourite show.:)

Pearl and Dick, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Clegg quote, 'Its sad but true............ And I don't mean the tea.' an affirmation of the unfortunate truth pointed out by the cartoon that started this conversation? As usual, an off-topic subordinate clause (especially one referring to food or beverages) in a very much on-topic response sent us off on an altogether different course. Which points up that the art of conversation is very much alive and well here. We always have something to 'talk' about and I'd be willing to bet that we'd have as much interesting conversation if we could get together in person as we have virtual conversation here.

Marianna

I thank you for your post Marianna, I agree with your sentiment. I was simply trying to point out where the quote came from.(I still do not know the episode) I realised Pearl was making an apt point and then it all went pear shaped. I thought I could maybe help out but possibly only succeeded in muddying the water! :me:

Its not as easy as it looks,if you tip the saucer at much of an angle you will get tea all down your front,my wife goes mad with me,I find the best way is to have the saucer more or less level,at chin height,then ever so slightly tip the saucer at a slight angle and slurp the tea out,rather than pouring it into your mouth,this must be the method Compo used as this will account for the slurping noise,which I now believe he couldn't help as it was the only effective way of drinking the tea from the saucer while avoiding spillage down your front
Its not even that easy pouring the tea into the saucer,I usually get major dripping and a pool of tea,I watched an episode recently and Compo and Norman were having a long conversation at Normans house where he had made him a cup of tea,and three times he returned to Compo's cup filling the saucer each time without spilling a single drop,and it wasn't an empty cup,you could see the tea being poured,he made it look effortless whilst talking,I was really impressed.
Please all try it,especially if in a café,and report back any degrees of success or failure you have,I would be really interested to see how other people get on.
I would love a special report from you Amos,both the pouring, and the drinking from the saucer,while sat on your setee,eating a sticky bun,watching our favourite show.:)

If you notice, Peter Sallis always has great coordination as he carries full glasses of beer, hops on and off chairs, or simply pours tea.

I thank you for your post Marianna, I agree with your sentiment. I was simply trying to point out where the quote came from.(I still do not know the episode) I realised Pearl was making an apt point and then it all went pear shaped. I thought I could maybe help out but possibly only succeeded in muddying the water! :me:
The episode is Frozen Turkey Man. I won't give the exact quote as that might just confuse things even more.

Pete,

Many moons ago I had a couple of girlfriends [very short term] who would have had no issue with this [or so it seemed at the time] given the size of their "gobs" they could have easily slid the saucer in their mouth and simply tipped their heads back !:rolleyes:

pete,

many moons ago i had a couple of girlfriends [very short term] who would have had no issue with this [or so it seemed at the time] given the size of their "gobs" they could have easily slid the saucer in their mouth and simply tipped their heads back !:rolleyes:

babs and queenie?? :16:

Back