The changing face of rural...Holmfirth

Brilliant photos Pete thank you so much for posting I imagine our friends over the various ponds will really appreciate this insight into the locations as they are today . In terms of the Daisy Lane shot was that a long closed pub opposite the book shop or is the Bass sign simply a prop , if it was a pub then I wonder what it was called . I love the shot of Kaye's ironmongers and whilst the frontage has changed I think it is absolutely incredible in these days of big DIY hypermarkets[which are only 5 miles away] that a little shop like that can survive from 1975 and probably earlier [assume someone will know when it opened?] .

Thanks so much Neil ☺
I have some more early shots where there are changes but I didn't want to do them all at once,tomorrow I'm going up into the Holmfirth hills and will post a few photos.
I don't know about the pub on Daisy Lane,I'v never known one there,I will look into it,yes isn't it great that Kayes is still there,it's a proper old fashioned ironmongers too you can get allsorts there its a really old fashioned shop,it's like the old bookies of Compos a few doors away,that's still there and it's still the same independent shop that Compo knew.
When I used to put photos on before I used to take the photos with my camera then transfer them to my laptop then cut and paste each one and my computer was really slow and kept losing connection and to put a group of photos up would literally take all of my evening and I had to much going on at the time,I'v done all these on my smartphone in just a few minutes,what a difference,I can put some photos up without hours of frustration.
Thanks again.
Ps glad to see that Holmfirth was really busy and thriving this morning,seemed to be lots of tourists and the cafes were busy and so too was the Summer Wine tour bus.

I guess then the Bass sign is a prop wouldn't be hard for the props personnel to resource. I imagine that Bass Breweries were more than happy to supply for the publicity . I love old shops , I have been in Girona a couple of times this year and I always make a beeline for this shop its sells all sorts of old style products , things which have long disappeared from our shelves . There is a really old fashioned Spanish bar called El Cafe opposite where you can get traditional fayre and drinks plus they play jazz music which all adds to the ambience . I look forward immensely to your next set of shots Pete thank you so much for posting .

DSC_0229.JPG

Last edited:
Great pictures, Pete! Thanks for the message, I sent you a reply. I think it would be great if somehow we could convince the BBC or something to back a book deal for you to create a Summer Wine Then and Now pictorial book. :D

A walk up the hills today starting and finishing at the White Horse beside Cleggys house.It was like being in an episode passing by all the familiar landscapes, remembering scenes and characters,and then back to the White Horse,for those abroad or unable to make the walk I thought I'd share just a few photos,Pete.20171026_111045-1032x581.jpg 20171026_111056-1032x581.jpg

Near to the White Horse is Barracks Gold,a street and area that has been in quite a few scenes over the years,it was here that Seymour walked down in his last episode with Compo and Clegg following behind struggling with the cases,this scene is from 2008 with the missing Vicar and the drunks in a short introduction to Coopers rules,and again taken this morning.20171013_114830-1032x581.jpg 20171026_143832-1-745x419.jpg

Back