The Bandit from Stoke On Trent

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping someone can clarify a remark Amos makes in this episode which confuses me. At the beginning of the episode where he's having a go at the police sergeant it sound's like he says something like 'you'll be hearing from my solicitor, he's the biggest puff in Stoke On Trent'

I was wondering whether I've misheard this as I don't think it's a homophobic comment as a friend of mine does, but the statement doesn't seem to make sense to me?

I agree, it doesn't make sense in that context but there's a burst of audience laughter when he says it so it must have been meant as a joke. The word is used in several episodes in the early series, Compo calls Blamire a poof in Forked Lighting, and Eric calls Foggy a poof in Going to Gorden's Wedding. I don't think it was meant as homophobic, but just a general insult.

Thanks Roger, I've heard Compo use the term poof as an insult in the earlier episodes, but if the word was poof it wouldn't make sense in the context as you say, also the tone used makes you think it's more of a brag than an insult. I'm just wondering whether he perhaps fluffed his lines slightly.

According to the subtitles the word is Puff
That’s still confusing as it’s not a term I’m familiar with in the context. If the word used was cheese it would make perfect sense. Perhaps he means cheesy puff :p
I wonder whether the subtitles are taken directly from the scripts or just what the captioner hears ?

It would be interesting if the subtitle word has changed on the other episodes where they clearly say poof, it seems all episodes are being even further edited when transmitted these day, to remove any trace of offence

It would be interesting if the subtitle word has changed on the other episodes where they clearly say poof, it seems all episodes are being even further edited when transmitted these day, to remove any trace of offence
I’ve not got the subtitles on mine, but it would be interesting to see if is spelled puff when it’s meant as poof, when Compo insults Foggy in the episode Dewhurst Up a Fir Tree for example

Puff is used as derogatory term for homosexual.
Yes, but it doesn’t make sense as Amos says it, why would he say his solicitor was the biggest homosexual in SOT, it doesn’t make sense why he would say that to a police officer when he was trying to boast about his legal backing particularly in the less enlightened 1970’s

According to EverythingWhat, a puff is particularly Northern slang for poof or homosexual.

Which kind of surprised me, as it doesn't make any real sense in relation to the conversation in the programme.

Bit odd that.

Ah, how about this?

Just googled 'solicitor puff'.

Puffing is 'the exaggeration of the good points of a product, service or person'.

Which is something a solicitor would do.

That makes more sense.

There are a number of jokes in the show, even up into the Seymour years, that are "put downs" that suggest someone is gay. I interpret the Amos line as him saying he has a solicitor, even if the man is not the most masculine person around. At least in the US you hear humor like that, where someone puts down someone they like or trust in that way.

I agree with wstol, I just don't think it's a gay reference, if you look at who he was addressing, the tone and what he was trying to convey the term 'poof' just wouldn't make sense.

Ah, how about this?

Just googled 'solicitor puff'.

Puffing is 'the exaggeration of the good points of a product, service or person'.

Which is something a solicitor would do.

That makes more sense.

Indeed, as in a "puff piece" which exaggerates something and ignores flaws.

I've just read about this episode on the Summer Wino's book and they say Amos is shouting 'poof', and they're the oracles of the series so I'll assume that what was said!! Still seems strange in 1970's Britain why he'd mention it to a police officer though as the context still doesn't make sense to me.

Back