Tennis and Summer Wine

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Has anyone been watching the tennis? I am intrigued by the doubles matches when, before serving the ball, the two players huddle together and talk to one another whilst holding a tennis ball in front of their mouth. That is to stop the opponents from lip reading how they are going to play the next point. I often wonder what they are saying but the only thing that comes to mind is Foggy looking around furtively and saying, "COME IN SUN RAY MAJOR, COME IN SUN RAY MAJOR". :cool2:
Can you think of anything from SW that they could be saying?

The French player is saying " Mon Dieu J'ai entendu dire que tante a une offre spéciale sur les balles de tennis d'occasion" but the second one is saying " Non n'y va pas c'est un racket et une ruse pour te faire entrer dans la boutique une fois dedans tu vas te faire tondre "

I suppose like me Peri you failed elementary French at school so to make it easy for you the first is saying

" My God I hear that Auntie has a special deal on second hand Tennis balls in her shop"

The Second one says " No its just a Racket :fp: and a Ruse to get you in the shop where you'll get fleeced :) "

Reminds me of the time they decided to play cricket, at least I think it was cricket. Cleggy turned his hat backwards and swung the bat with authority.
You are right Adanor, it was cricket. Cleggy was batting and Seymour was bowling.

Imagine that the doubles match is a ladies foursome. Makes me think of Glenda and her 'mother' who is talking into the tennis bowl and saying 'Drink your coffee'.
There is another cracker which I am surprised that no one has mentioned yet. This could be heard in a mixed doubles match. Come on, it's easy. I sense that the Captain will be onto this one very quickly.

The thing that immediately springs to mind is Howard and Marina being doubles partners with him saying " I hardly know the young lady" expecting to be playing neighbours Alvin and Stella however, Stella has pulled out through injury and Pearl steps in as a late replacement . Though a ball hasn't been struck as soon as he realises its Pearl , Howard does what all winners do and climbs , expediently , up to the Stand seats and makes a swift escape through the exit stairwell.

In one episode tennis was implied for a couple of minutes, but they were not on a tennis court yet still adding up the score

Back