Sunday 12/12/21 What a day.

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Sunday morning 6:30 and Victoria was in the garden feeding the birds. It was taking longer than usual. I struggled to the back door. It was very dark but I could see her flashlight where the Bird feeders are. She shouted to me that she had fallen. Unable to leave the house because of my disability's, I dialed 999 ambulance but they said that they were very busy answering life and death calls. I told them that my wife was in the garden on the cold ground in the dark and could not get back up. She is 76 and has a heart problem so doesn't that make it a life or death condition. I was told that the ambulance would be there a.s.a.p. and the time two hours was mentioned. Incensed I hung up and phoned the police. Within a few minutes the ambulance arrived. Not long after that the police arrived. I expected that they, 3 nurses and a policeman, would soon have her back on her feet and back into the house. After about 15 minutes one of the nurses came back into the house and told me that the fire brigade was on it's way with some special equipment. Apparently it was very slippy in the garden and the medics were worried about dropping her again. The fire brigade arrived with some special equipment. There were now 7 people in the garden trying to get my wife back into the house, 3 nurses, 3 firemen and a policeman. She was getting weaker by the minute. Eventually they got her to the house on some kind of a chair. She looked very ill and was taken straight up the drive to the ambulance. From the medics arrival to getting my wife into the ambulance was just short of 3 hours. I know that it was my wife suffering but this whole episode has left me completely drained. It is now Monday, Victoria is still in hospital and I feel so utterly useless and my appetite has totally gone. I just want my wife back home. Jack and Joey are missing her and like me have no interest in food. It must have seemed strange to the neighborhood to see all 3 services parked outside my home.

Oh what a terrible time for you, fingers crossed she is home with you soon, one question though why were the army not involved

So so sorry Peri, hopefully your good lady is back at home soon boasting about the 7 burly emergency workers to came to her rescue!!

Oh Peri I am so so so sorry to hear your distressing story I do hope your wife Victoria makes an expedient recovery and is home very very soon . I am hoping you have good neighbours/friends/family who can help you through this I'm sure you have so take care , stay well and safe please keep us posted of progress .

Speedy recovery to you both I’m sure she’ll be back home soon. Get some grub down you even if it’s one of Jacks gravy bones!

Keep us posted Peri, good luck with it all. Can't help but think that Nora in her nurse guise wouldn't have messed around & would have had your good lady back in the house in no time ready for Foggy to have administered his first aid. Best wishes Peri.

Hoping that X-Ray doesn't show up anything and its just bruising from the fall that is impinging on Victoria's ability to walk . Are you getting plenty of help at home , I sincerely hope so Peri because you need to be on your A game when Victoria comes home . Take care my friend please keep us updated with progress .

I can get to Rotherham in no time Peri,I don’t know if you drive or how your family support is,but please let me know if I can help,any errands or anything I can do for you,even bringing Victoria home,I know you barely know me but I can see already we’re one big family of like minded souls on here,I genuinely mean it,I will get my phone number to you,and please eat and keep yourself well,you need to be well for when Victoria gets home,
Chuffer x

I can get to Rotherham in no time Peri,I don’t know if you drive or how your family support is,but please let me know if I can help,any errands or anything I can do for you,even bringing Victoria home,I know you barely know me but I can see already we’re one big family of like minded souls on here,I genuinely mean it,I will get my phone number to you,and please eat and keep yourself well,you need to be well for when Victoria gets home,
Chuffer x
That is most kind of you to offer your help. If we do need your help we will gratefully accept. I don't know, at this stage, how long Victoria is going to remain in hospital. I do believe that she will be brought home in an ambulance. I will keep you informed of what is happening. Once again, many thanks for your kind offer. Peri.

Victoria has been cleared in that she has no broken bones. She does have to have more tests done to check for any soft tissue damage and she has to be checked by a physiotherapist. I have had lots of offers of help today including an offer from our new member Chuffer Enwright which gave my day a much needed lift. My daughter and grand-daughter came today and did some housework. My grand-daughter is coming back tomorrow, Wednesday. Some neighbors have also been to offer some help. One of them watches SW everyday and will be joining the group when she gets the plaster off her hand which was operated on because of a severe bone problem. Victoria is so eager to get home and resume her daily viewing of SW. I thought she wanted to get home to see me. I guess that I must have the Smiler syndrome, loss of sparkle.:frown2:

If ever there were a thread which framed the camaraderie and the caring nature of this wonderful community this is it. I've been really moved by all the concern and support the members from around the world have shown. I really hope Mrs Peripheral soon returns to rude health and hopefully like me you have been buoyed by all our amazing members :) :) :)

When one is at an age where one can clearly remember dial telephones and black and white TV, then clearly the medical community must change their response. When a person of a certain age falls, then the response should be immediate. If not an ambulance, then two police officers should have responded, perhaps to pick her off the ground or to request an immediate medical response. The medical needs of someone of a certain age are different.

Back