Stephen Lewis

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I haven't bought any Summer Wine books yet, but may be purchasing Vine's and Bell's books soon. The books might have an answer to this question but I will ask it for now anyway.

I wonder what Stephen Lewis is like off camera. Through prrevious threads I learned a lot about the main characters; Peter Sallis, Brian Wilde, Michael Aldridge, Keith Clifford, and Bill Owen. However, I am very curious about Stephen Lewis, especailly after watching Smiler in "Madly, Bradley" (or soemthing like that). Stephen Lewis was so good at playing a pitiful character, especially in this episode where he is in the rafts and pathetically askes "Give us a hand, give us a hand". My wife comments on his pitiful facial expressions.Smiler was a great character.

Anybody know anything about Stephen Lewis?

I think I read somewhere that he was in the Navy? Also of course, he was Inspector Blake in 'On The Buses'. Other than that, no, I don't know anything about him.

I was fortunate to meet Stephen Lewis at several Summer Wine events, and he is a very colourful character, in the way he dresses and also the way he comes across. He was very often in character, joking around but you can have a serious chat with him too. Will have to dig out some photos of cast members out of character so to speak and post them on here. They are a delight to watch on TV, and seem like a happy family outside of it.

I was fortunate to meet Stephen Lewis at several Summer Wine events, and he is a very colourful character, in the way he dresses and also the way he comes across. He was very often in character, joking around but you can have a serious chat with him too. Will have to dig out some photos of cast members out of character so to speak and post them on here. They are a delight to watch on TV, and seem like a happy family outside of it.

Thanks for the info Welshy, hanging out with the crew off camera always seemed like it would be so much fun. I sense that in the photos as well. However, previous threads around Vine's book often tell otherwise.

Back