Speaking Clock

There could be a problem with the trimphone , if it was your only phone then you could adjust the volume but could not turn the ringer off, if you had more than one, on all but one you could turn the ringers off, though to be honest not many folk had more than one phone in their home, as each instrument attracted extra rental cost each quarter.
I discovered that by popping the cover off , turning a small screw on the stop of the volume dial that allowed it to rotate to the off position , happy days.

Anyone else recall the days of bell tinkle, someone was dialing on a extension phone and the bell would tinkle on all the other phones , handy though. If you had teenager's in the house

Anyone else recall the days of bell tinkle, someone was dialing on a extension phone and the bell would tinkle on all the other phones , handy though. If you had teenager's in the house
From very early on we had an extension in the dairy barn. That jingle alerted whoever was in the house that someone was using that phone, and if we believed that nobody was legitimately in the barn we'd go out and catch the "thief".

That was mere misuse, but the phone in a hay storage barn across the road from the county airport that serves this area led to outright theft. Soon after installation, the owner received a bill with multiple long distance charges, so that evening he hid in the barn and as each flight landed he saw a queue of men in respectable-looking business suits making calls home to tell their wives that they had arrived safely. He stepped out, shotgun in hand, dispersed the queue and put a padlock on the barn door. No more huge phone bills. All of those cheapskates looked as though they could afford to use the pay phones in the airport terminal.

Goodness me, Marianna. You mean you were not one of the masses that left their VCR's to blink "00:00" because they could not be bothered to set it? I don't remember any of ours drifting on the time so much. Maybe my Dad was regularly going around the house making sure the clocks were set properly.

Goodness me, Marianna. You mean you were not one of the masses that left their VCR's to blink "00:00" because they could not be bothered to set it?
No way! That would have driven me bonkers. Anyway, I'm finicky about seeing my favorite TV shows in their entirety. But every time the power came back on from an outage, I was called next door to reset the one that the elderly lady there owned. It was just too complicated for her to manage, even with the instructions in hand.

I'm finicky about seeing my favorite TV shows in their entirety

I don't know what its like in the US but as a sports fan and having attended any number of Football [Soccer] games my biggest pet hate is people who leave before the end [normally with 5 or 10 minutes to go] why ????? Are they hoping to get home 5 or 10 minutes early and miss the rush ??? I just don't get it !!

I don't know what its like in the US but as a sports fan and having attended any number of Football [Soccer] games my biggest pet hate is people who leave before the end [normally with 5 or 10 minutes to go] why ????? Are they hoping to get home 5 or 10 minutes early and miss the rush ??? I just don't get it !!
I have no idea what it's like in the US. I'm completely oblivious to sports.

Back