Some new features

gothic

Administrator
Staff member
As you all know, Terry and I have updated the forum software today. There comes with it a few neat new features, the vast majority of which are rather self explanatory.
One feature I will tell you about here is the new "Portal" page. This is a page generated by the vBulletin software which gives the members a lot of information in one place. If you visit the page (the tab at the top labelled "Portal") you will see there are three columns, the two side columns contain basic but possibly useful details like todays birthdays, latest/current poll, who's online and news archives. The middle column can be the most useful. Below the "Welcome" panel there is a list of the most recent posts (I have set this to 5 at the moment, but it can be increased if requested) and below the recent posts are shown the latest news items. These news items are only posts, but where the "Recent Posts" are gathered from ALL the forums, the latest news will only come from the "Announcements", "General Discussion" and "Chat about anything non Summerwine" forums.

This portal page does not have to be used, there is no obligation to even visit it, but if you find it useful let me know of any suggestions to improve it (I can create and add/change/delete the various modules). If you like it a lot you could make it your "Landing page", simply bookmark it so you can go straight there in the future.

If it becomes globally popular I could put the shoutbox on that page too.

Oh poo! posted as my alter ego again :-[:-[

As you all know, Terry and I have updated the forum software today. There comes with it a few neat new features, the vast majority of which are rather self explanatory.
One feature I will tell you about here is the new "Portal" page. This is a page generated by the vBulletin software which gives the members a lot of information in one place. If you visit the page (the tab at the top labelled "Portal") you will see there are three columns, the two side columns contain basic but possibly useful details like todays birthdays, latest/current poll, who's online and news archives. The middle column can be the most useful. Below the "Welcome" panel there is a list of the most recent posts (I have set this to 5 at the moment, but it can be increased if requested) and below the recent posts are shown the latest news items. These news items are only posts, but where the "Recent Posts" are gathered from ALL the forums, the latest news will only come from the "Announcements", "General Discussion" and "Chat about anything non Summerwine" forums.

This portal page does not have to be used, there is no obligation to even visit it, but if you find it useful let me know of any suggestions to improve it (I can create and add/change/delete the various modules). If you like it a lot you could make it your "Landing page", simply bookmark it so you can go straight there in the future.

If it becomes globally popular I could put the shoutbox on that page too.

Oh poo! posted as my alter ego again :-[:-[

Busted Tony ::) Thank you, I had a quick look earlier at the portal whatsit and I got lost :-[ I'll have another look :42:

Back