So what do we think so far about the 2009 series?

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I will get things going here, there has been two recent episodes and I guess most of us have seen them now,so what do we think.

Personally I think it has a way to go in the laughter stakes,I do not think the trio is working, the loss of Cleggy & Truly on location is very noticeable but there is not much that can be done about that, the scene this week with Hobbo outside the home of what he thinks is his mother really dragged, Russ Abbott is a funny man but it was wasted in this scene

This week the policemen stole the show for me, and now missing for two series Smiler but not a mention of the man who bought us many laughs,as if he has never been there, he could of least run off into the sunset with the handcart.

I love this show and don't wish to knock it,but it needs to step up a gear, lets hope it improves and not stuck in neutral for the remaining episodes

Yes, I agree. I miss Cleggy and Truly all the time and I was glad they showed up three times in the last episode and even went to the library. It was good to see them outside of Cleggy´s living room again! They should let them go to Ivy´s, I think.
And I can´t get used to a new trio, too. Probably I never will. And Smiler´s absence is very sad, another familiar face is gone.

Still to watch episodes 2 and 3 - but noticeably the policemen seem to often steal the show: I agree it is a shame about Clegg and Truly being absent a lot but I guess that is the price we pay for ageing stars.

With regard to Smiler I think a proper "writing out" would be a good idea - happened with Blamire, Foggy, Seymour and Foggy and of course, Compo, but not for Wally, Sid (only indirectly although his passing was acknowledged much later on as was Wally's), Edie and it seems Norah.

Although I've read a lot of negative comments I love this show and will watch it as long as its written by Roy Clarke and directed by Alan JW Bell.
Having watched since the first episode I remember people not liking the Foggy character then criticising Seymour,Edie,Truly,Smiler.But given time these characters have grown on us and hopefully will continue to do so.

My wife and I have been lovers of LOTSW from the first episodes and still enjoy the later episodes but feel that the series seems to have lost it's way recently.
We think that Russ Abbott's character, fine comedian that he might be, doesn't work at all and is frankly not funny. Now that Peter Sallis, that fine actor, is finding the scenes hard going, our favoured trio of lunatics would be Frank Thornton, Brian Murphy and Keith Clifford. They are all masters of comic timing and would keep my wife and I watching for years. I'm a newby to this forum but thought that i might put in my two'penneth. I live on the outskirts of Sheffield and particularly enjoyed the episodes with scenes filmed in Bradfield.

I enjoyed the new series. I was a little shocked at how little we saw of Truly and Clegg, even though I knew they wouldn't be appearing in any of the outdoor scenes.

My one criticism is that Hobbo appeared to be ever so slightly exaggerated in some scenes, but I suspect that will be toned down a bit in series 31. :)

I enjoyed the new series. I was a little shocked at how little we saw of Truly and Clegg, even though I knew they wouldn't be appearing in any of the outdoor scenes.

My one criticism is that Hobbo appeared to be ever so slightly exaggerated in some scenes, but I suspect that will be toned down a bit in series 31. :)
I agree about Hobbo but I remember Seymour being the same until he settled down.

I agree about Hobbo but I remember Seymour being the same until he settled down.
Yeah, I think it's probably necessary to write major new characters that way, at first.

Back