Roy Clarke

I read he rearly did, I know when he wrote Keeping up Appearances some of the cast never met him.

It's fairly well known that Roy Clarke & Harold Snoad who produced KUA loathed one another, so that would explain why he hardly ever went on set there. I'm not sure how often he went on set of LOTSW or Still/Open All Hours

He did appear in a episode of last years SOAH, I did meet him at the 30 year and the final dinner for LOSW, but I do believe he only went to the LOSW set a couple of times

I have the idea he just wrote the script, passed it onto Alan Bell, then never had anything to do with the production of the show. He never saw it again until it was broadcast.

I have the idea he just wrote the script, passed it onto Alan Bell, then never had anything to do with the production of the show. He never saw it again until it was broadcast.
In an interview, Roy Clarke has openly said he has no interest in the production of the programmes he writes and leaves that to other people. He is writer and that is what he concerns himself with. That's why he never really visits sets during filming too.

I have been watching the Perry and Croft Series and a discreet repeat Documentary and it is obvious even as the writers that they were hands on for all series . There was a great clip for the final day filming of Hi De Hi and the whole cast and crew are singing a version of Goodnight Campers and Croft and Perry are there with the crew singing along .

Back