Reflections on Series 30

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I just finished watching Variations on a Theme of Father’s Day. This is currently my Public Television Station’s third rotation of the Hobbo years since I first started watching the program. I was quite turned off by this era the first two times of watching the rotation of episodes. I almost decided to take a break from the show until they returned to the earlier years but I decided to give it another try.

I must say I have warmed up to the Hobbo years. Believe it or not, I actually like Hobbo and perhaps the only real problem was that Summer Wine put too much focus on this one single new character. I have also warmed up to Toby and Morton. Alvin and Enwistle are alright. The cast is good, but not quite as great in earlier years. I have learned to gain so much respect for characters, Auntie Wainwright, Pearl, and Ivey for sticking around so long and continuing with strong performances. Something about Ivey that I think is great in these later years.

Now I see they still created good shows, like Variations of a Theme of Father’s Day and Who’s Looking at Nelly Sideways? (there are other good ones but the names are so long) And there was the really good scene from earlier in the series of Howard eve’s dropping on Pearl and Nelly with Hobbo’s malfunctioning radio.

I view this series as very good and very solid, but still one step behind older great series.

One question…..
Did Summer Wine get axed / sacked in the middle of series 31? I noticed in the episode guide there are 10 episodes from series 30 and only 6 from series 31.

And lastly, from someone that has always claimed to like the 2000-2007 era the best, I will soon return to the Blamire years and maybe after a third time around I will start to understand what all the praise is for characters like Sid and Wally.

Thanks for Listening.

I agree mate, the more you watch the Hobbo episodes, the more you grow fond of them.
I think it is a 'human nature' thing...we are all basically resistant to change, and it takes us a while to adapt, sometimes longer than you would expect, and it is down to the individual, but I have to say that I like Hobbo as a character, I have griown to like the last 2 series and it's a shame that Roy and Russ weren't given the chance to develop the new formula further.
Hobbo was given a weakish supporting double act to work with, nowhere near as strong as any other new 'third man' ever got, but Russ still did a grand job. It just takes a while to acclimatise yourself and assimilate the change.
Once you have seen them a few times, they are nowhere near as average as you first thought.

As far as i know summer wine was axed after series 30 claming that the show
was too expensive to make and the cast were too old.The reason for six episodes
was that they changed their mind after the public complained to the bbc but
would only commission six episodes instead of the normal 10.

As far as i know summer wine was axed after series 30 claming that the show
was too expensive to make and the cast were too old.The reason for six episodes
was that they changed their mind after the public complained to the bbc but
would only commission six episodes instead of the normal 10.

Not every series had 10 episodes some had less and some had more.

Series 9 had 13 episodes and series 13 had 6 episodes. I never understood the reason for this..

While watching Series 30 I have come to realize Summer wine is about resilience. It is unfortunate that the show had to come to an end but just look at all the cast members it lost in the latter half of its existence. It lost Foggy, Compo, Edie, Wesley, Nora, Smiler, Billy, etc. while having Truly and Clegg reduced to cameos. It is amazing the show thrived for so long.

Watching the final two years makes me really appreciate those that hung in there to the end. I think the unsung hero of Summer Wine (while it is so easy to give all the credit to Sallis and Thornton) is Jane Freeman. I really liked how her character complimented her in the older aged years. Summer Wine had no choice but to go through so many changes, especially in the last two years. Ivy was like glue that helped hold it together, keeping traces of the old days alive within all the changes. Not only has her character kept strong, we still got to enjoy the familiarity of the café.

I think that the main reason for the initial resistance to Hobbo was his introduction. Most new characters were eased into their existance whereas the Hobbo era brought him to prominence immediately and the public didn't get a chance to get used to him gradually. Grumpy

While watching Series 30 I have come to realize Summer wine is about resilience. It is unfortunate that the show had to come to an end but just look at all the cast members it lost in the latter half of its existence. It lost Foggy, Compo, Edie, Wesley, Nora, Smiler, Billy, etc. while having Truly and Clegg reduced to cameos. It is amazing the show thrived for so long.

Watching the final two years makes me really appreciate those that hung in there to the end. I think the unsung hero of Summer Wine (while it is so easy to give all the credit to Sallis and Thornton) is Jane Freeman. I really liked how her character complimented her in the older aged years. Summer Wine had no choice but to go through so many changes, especially in the last two years. Ivy was like glue that helped hold it together, keeping traces of the old days alive within all the changes. Not only has her character kept strong, we still got to enjoy the familiarity of the café.
Agreed,thought it sad thouggh that after 37 years,she was absent from the swan song episode though.First episode Jane missed for years I think.Just thought she may not have wanted to film the last show because of Kathy's absence

Agreed,thought it sad thouggh that after 37 years,she was absent from the swan song episode though.First episode Jane missed for years I think.Just thought she may not have wanted to film the last show because of Kathy's absence
[/quote]

I imagine you are referring to How Not to Cry At Weddings. It has been a while since I have seen it but my Public Television station it approaching it in its rotation (it should air early next week). However, someone here mentioned that it was not intended to be the final episode.