Rare as hens teeth...

A million thanks my fellow "SummerWiner" !!.
I think this sketch sums up the amazing,unique writing of Roy Clarke.
The banter and observations on life between our 3 heroes is quite amazing.
All the subjects they cover,and the verbal jousting is magical.
He is an absolute genius !!......I do not know of another show that draws people back to it.......you never tire of watching each episode...even though we know the dialogue word for word !!....it always remains fresh......we are truly blessed to be part of our "special family" !!!

That's completely new to me, and it's as fresh today as the day it was broadcast in 1984. Did you notice the Queen Mother chatting to them at the end, she was a massive fan apparently!

Great video. I never realised there had been a Royal Variety sketch. I would imagine it was new territory for them to be live on stage in a theatre, as they mainly film Summer Wine for TV. No chance to make mistakes and do it again.

Seeing the Queen Mother meeting the stars reminds me of a tale I think Jimmy Tarbuck told about one of the shows and at the meeting with the Queen after the show they were all standing in line waiting to speak but only if they were asked a question by Her Majesty when Les Dawson did the unacceptable and stepped forward asking the Queen if she was paying them tonight. There is another tale about Tommy Cooper allegedly asking if the Queen really liked Football because if she didn't he wouldn't mind having her tickets for the Cup Final . :oops:

Back