Rain and floods

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
If you have seen the news you will know that it rained here for more than 24 hours non stop yesterday, a result of which were many floods in Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster. Luckily we live on a hill but at the south side of the house it is flat and we can see the Meadowhall Shopping Center through the kitchen window. It's about a quarter to a half mile away. The floods were so bad down there that hundreds of people were trapped in Meadowhall because the roads around were so bad. Last night was the big switch on for the Christmas lights at Meadowhall but we couldn't see it because the rain was so heavy. Just heard on the news that the town of Worksop is also flooded and that there are more than 100 flood warnings posted. As I said, we live on a hill but just to be safe I have put my bikini on. I have to wear a bikini because you know how old men start to droop in the most inconvenient places as they get older☹. What is it that people are saying about climate change?⛅⛈❄⛄

Last edited by a moderator:
And back to the original theme. I cannot express in words the devastation people in Sheffield , Derby and their counties have suffered and for someone to die is just unthinkable . I hope all Members and their communities are well and safe and everyone gets the support they need to try and sort this desolation . I know people will lay this at the door of climate change or lack of funding but the key thing now is to help these families and communities to get all the assistance they need to start rebuilding their lives .

What happened to your woolen onesie? bathing_suit_double.jpg
Sad to hear about the heavy rains and flooding. Not sure if that is real or part of a yarn Peri was spinning to show off his bikini picture.

If you were referring to the floods Rick sadly they're all too real one fatality after a lady was swept away and hundreds if not thousands have been displaced or had their homes flooded . It's an increasing trend we could do without in the UK but its all to familiar now . I imagine you have similar in the US in certain areas particularly with Hurricane Season just in the UK they have been preaching lessons learnt and public figures come out and offer support but its way too little and all too late.

Last edited:
We had flooding in our area in Thursday/Friday. Just roads so no damage to peoples homes. When the same area flooded a few years ago a spokesman(person?) said it was a once in 200 year occurrence. This has happened 3 years so far this year!
So sorry for everyone who's had their homes and possessions ruined. The area of Derbyshire where we stay in the campervan is under water and one poor woman has died in the swollen river.

We seemed to of just escaped a major flood problem, this river is about 200 meters from our home, the last time it reached the black line there was serious flooding, normally it is managed much better as close buy there is a large water pumping station that manages our river plus the river trent during high water levels, it seems some mad man decided that would would replace the fully working Victorian pumps, this time of year, I wonder how well paid those idiots are.

RL.jpg

Be some Chancer with University Degree straight out of College knows nowt but thinks he does , no practical experience but can't be told will be paid a big fat bonus for making a complete hash of it and will run away to his next dollup up. :mad:

Be some Chancer with University Degree straight out of College knows nowt but thinks he does , no practical experience but can't be told will be paid a big fat bonus for making a complete hash of it and will run away to his next dollup up. :mad:

Been informed that one of the workers at the site did query with management the logic of changing these pumps this time of year, when the project was planned in the summer months, for his trouble he got a written warning

That's the ticket Terry someone sees all the issues posts his thoughts to management and gets his very own ticket as a reward ... a Yellow Card, typical those who try to bring logic to the discussion based on the practical experience and knowledge they have gathered are ignored or dismissed as troublesome and sidelined . It's all too commonplace, I am sure like me over your years of employment you have witnessed events of this type all too frequently and been part of the team left behind to resolve the aftermath of some barmy decision .

If you have seen the news you will know that it rained here for more than 24 hours non stop yesterday, a result of which were many floods in Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster. Luckily we live on a hill but at the south side of the house it is flat and we can see the Meadowhall Shopping Center through the kitchen window. It's about a quarter to a half mile away. The floods were so bad down there that hundreds of people were trapped in Meadowhall because the roads around were so bad. Last night was the big switch on for the Christmas lights at Meadowhall but we couldn't see it because the rain was so heavy. Just heard on the news that the town of Worksop is also flooded and that there are more than 100 flood warnings posted. As I said, we live on a hill but just to be safe I have put my bikini on. I have to wear a bikini because you know how old men start to droop in the most inconvenient places as they get older☹. What is it that people are saying about climate change?⛅⛈❄⛄
Best wishes and prayers for all those who are trapped, washed out, and/or spending time in shelters due to flooding conditions.

Back