R1 DVD Vintage Extras

RickAns

Dedicated Member
The complete box set has all the Christmas specials along with the original episodes, but appears to be lacking a few extras / specials that are on the R1 "Vintage" DVDs. Which is a shame because I think they really should have been included to complete the package. The 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine is an excellent synopsis of the show. Roy's interview gives nice insight to the Summer Wine world.

Such as -
Vintage 1995 - 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine, some biographies as well as an interview with Bill Owen.
* side note, the 30 Years... is an update version to the earlier release of 25 Years....

Vintage 1976 - Interviews with Brian Wilde, Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton.

Vintage 1977 - Interview with creator / writer Roy Clarke.

The Vintage discs contain the Christmas specials that are also included in the complete box set. All this info is from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Last_of_the_Summer_Wine_home_video_releases . It does not seem that these extras were released on region 2 or others.

If you have not seen them or are an episode collector completion-ist then I highly suggest seeking these 3 discs out. Got mine on ebay. Not sure if R2 players handle R1 discs, there are workarounds.

Here is a small image of the discs in question on the wiki.
LotSW R1 DVD Extras Specials.png

Welcome AJM, I have to say I absolutely love your profile pic!!!!
Greets and Welcome, AJM ! :18:

I found it a bit odd they only had these Extras on the R1 DVD's only as well.
Thank you both for the warm welcome.

@Barrychuckle I always enjoy Howard's escapades.

@RickAns There is the same issue with Keeping Up Appearances too. Different bonus features on R1 DVD and not others.

It might be possible that the Extras for the U.S. customers are there to help bring us 'up to speed' on a show you in the U.K. would already be familiar with. I am glad we have them but also think you all would enjoy them as well. Adds another dimension to shows / characters we enjoy.

I am trying to collect all the "Vintage" DVDs but find BBC's choice of releases confusing.

Apparently the first few years were not produced. Likewise there appears some years (1978 for example) which only have Christmas Specials. Others are paired across a couple of years.

Does anyone know of an authoritative listing of what was released under the "Vintage" line?

Thanks

The Wiki in my first post is the closest to thorough I have found with any sort of info on the topic.

I have the 30 years documentary that I recorded from the TV when new on BBC One in 2003. Unfortunately my copy has developed an awful sound sync issue for some unexplained reason. In places the sound is around 10 seconds behind the picture!

Anyone have an idea as to how to correct the sound sync problem, perhaps with something downloaded from the internet? I can easily copy the DVD into my laptop.

I managed to track copies of the vintage DVDs to finally see the extras. I found the Roy Clarke interview very interesting to watch, especially how Roy liked to work when writing and what he did as a job before getting into writing. The tale of the horse and the bar was funny too. I must admit though, I found the Wilde and Sallis interview to be a little disappointing and too short. Just to be clear that Frank Thornton is not interviewed. All the extras on vintage 1995 are excellent to watch - especially 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine.

On a side note, do we know whether vintage 1985 contains the unedited episode of The Loxley Lozenge or the edited version?

I am trying to collect all the "Vintage" DVDs but find BBC's choice of releases confusing.

Apparently the first few years were not produced. Likewise there appears some years (1978 for example) which only have Christmas Specials. Others are paired across a couple of years.

Does anyone know of an authoritative listing of what was released under the "Vintage" line?

Thanks

I think I may have something that could be of use. I've put together a list of all the vintage DVDs and their respective contents. I hope it helps in your collection quest.

The complete box set has all the Christmas specials along with the original episodes, but appears to be lacking a few extras / specials that are on the R1 "Vintage" DVDs. Which is a shame because I think they really should have been included to complete the package. The 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine is an excellent synopsis of the show. Roy's interview gives nice insight to the Summer Wine world.

Such as -
Vintage 1995 - 30 Years of Last of the Summer Wine, some biographies as well as an interview with Bill Owen.
* side note, the 30 Years... is an update version to the earlier release of 25 Years....

Vintage 1976 - Interviews with Brian Wilde, Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton.

Vintage 1977 - Interview with creator / writer Roy Clarke.

The Vintage discs contain the Christmas specials that are also included in the complete box set. All this info is from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Last_of_the_Summer_Wine_home_video_releases . It does not seem that these extras were released on region 2 or others.

If you have not seen them or are an episode collector completion-ist then I highly suggest seeking these 3 discs out. Got mine on ebay. Not sure if R2 players handle R1 discs, there are workarounds.

Here is a small image of the discs in question on the wiki.
View attachment 3932
How much is it to purchase this dvd

@maltrab I've just seen several of each (1995, 1977, 1976) for about $10 - $20 USD not counting shipping on ebay if you do not mind used and in good condition. Can post links if you are interested. The shipping could possibly double that but that works both ways across the ocean. I've bought quite a few British and Euro DVD's. I see it as worth it if for a geographically rare DVD of a show ya really like and it's a one time purchase that you keep and cherish for years.

On second thought...
If I can help in tracking down a copy for you let me know. Terry, I see several with free ship here within the States. If you want I can get them and send your way. My treat since I don't remember donating to forum funds this year yet. Believe I still have your addy somewhere from the LotSW photos you sent me some time ago. We can take this to private chat if interested.

Hi @AJM can you expand more on Loxely Lozenge edited / unedited versions? The version I have is from the UK box set. The cheapest R1 Vintage 1985 dvd I just found on ebay is about $30 USD.

Hi @AJM can you expand more on Loxely Lozenge edited / unedited versions? The version I have is from the UK box set. The cheapest R1 Vintage 1985 dvd I just found on ebay is about $30 USD.
Just simply whether it has the scene in with Crusher, which unfortunately the region 2 DVD has the edited version. I was wondering if anyone knows if the region 1 vintage dvd also has the same edited version or not.

Back