Programs Getting Shorter

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I watched a show on Channel 5 catch-up, the show was timed at 1 hour, before they take the adverts out, which left 32 minutes, there was over 3 minutes introduction of what you are about to see, at the end just over 2 minutes to what's coming up in the next episode, so the show is condensed into just a bit over 26 minutes

The Channel 5 app is utterly horrendous for ads, I once counted 8 totaling 10 minutes. That said if you use the right ad blocker C5 catchup is one of the few that doesn't detect it so you can watch everything ad free!

I watch on catch up, the adverts are cut out for you or tape it and fast forward, Vera was 4 minutes per advert break but The Last of Us was 5 minutes. I just ask the remote to fast forward it for me, I don't even have to hold the button down now.

Have I read this right, your remote is voice activated ? Wow, I am behind the times on remote tech.

Or are you referring to your other half pressing the remote for you? :29:
tech has came so far over the past few years this story is not remote tech but still tech
A robot (chat gpt) convened a human to complete a are you a robot test it said it was a bit blind and needed help to finish the test

AI producing art , helping Kids do their homework, generating stories what next BBC shows written by AI plot software to save the cost of paying a screenwriter or author watch out Roy they're coming for you :eek:

Thanks, @ Pearl , I learned something new! That is a great gadget you got there.

I still don't think my nephews believe me when I've told them we used to only have 3 to 6 channels. Then had to get up, walk to the TV to change the channel or volume.

Thanks, @ Pearl , I learned something new! That is a great gadget you got there.

I still don't think my nephews believe me when I've told them we used to only have 3 to 6 channels. Then had to get up, walk to the TV to change the channel or volume.

First TV I recall was provided by Rediffusion and there was a cable to a multi-position switch fixed to the windowsill so to change channel you had to get up and move the switch to the desired channel not that there were many [2] plus radio .

switch.jpg

I watched a show on Channel 5 catch-up, the show was timed at 1 hour, before they take the adverts out, which left 32 minutes, there was over 3 minutes introduction of what you are about to see, at the end just over 2 minutes to what's coming up in the next episode, so the show is condensed into just a bit over 26 minutes
Very often I will watch a documentary with two main subjects - and there will be 2 mins of Subject 1, 2 mins of Subject 2, back to Subject 1 with a RE-CAP for 2 mins, back to Subject 2 with a RE-CAP for 2 mins, and so on and so on... then we get to to see all the best bits in next week's show.

Then it ends, and if you want to read the credits - you've got no chance. They go up 100 miles an hour, and THEN screen splits in half, the credits now too small to read, and there's an advert for some other dreadful programme.

Very often I will watch a documentary with two main subjects - and there will be 2 mins of Subject 1, 2 mins of Subject 2, back to Subject 1 with a RE-CAP for 2 mins, back to Subject 2 with a RE-CAP for 2 mins, and so on and so on... then we get to to see all the best bits in next week's show.

Then it ends, and if you want to read the credits - you've got no chance. They go up 100 miles an hour, and THEN screen splits in half, the credits now too small to read, and there's an advert for some other dreadful programme.
I agree there about the credits wstol. Sometimes programmes are even denied their theme music during the credits because of programme promotions, not that you can hear them when they are there.

And then there was the vertical hold and how it wouldn't hold; and then when they first went to color, all the faces were green.

We record a lot of the things we want to watch so we can choose when to watch it and can skip the ads. YouTube is also getting worse with the number and length of ads, so at some point when I can afford it will pay for premium to be ad free.

We only had two channels when I was a kid. Both state owned. Then a private third channel started up but only in the cities. We get all three channels now plus a lot more from Sky.

We record a lot of the things we want to watch so we can choose when to watch it and can skip the ads. YouTube is also getting worse with the number and length of ads, so at some point when I can afford it will pay for premium to be ad free.
YouTube premium is far too expensive IMO at £12 per month, I use an ad blocker and I've not had any ads in YT or DailyMotion for years. I've attached the link of a couple I use;

Back