Pick two episodes s1

wstol

Dedicated Member
TEN WHOLE DAYS AND NO NEW ACTIVITY ON THE GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM.

This will not do, we have to do something.

If everyone could pick TWO of their favourite episodes from SERIES ONE, and explain what makes them special.
The pilot episode can be included as one of the choices.

Go.

My two favourite episodes from series one are 'The New Mobile Trio' because its the first time we see Clegg driving which is always entertaining and 'Pate and Chips' because of Margaret Nolan playing Connie, very nice. :)

I would choose "Of Funerals and Fish" and "Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts" (although it's hard to pick really as they are all of such a high standard). Blamire was such a good character, so very sad when Michael Bates had to leave the show.
I like the pilot because - well, it just introduces all the characters, their personalities, and the place, so perfectly. I like the gritty appearance of old Holmfirth and how everybody looks so young. Nice how tenderly the little fish is returned to the water.
"Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts" has some great location shots with Clegg's old house and the old barn and I enjoyed the daftness of the story line.

Most of that first few series always wind me up a little due to the shouting, I know the reason for this was the quality of audio recording was not that good back then
But in series one I enjoy the Changing face of rural Blamire with the interactions with the salesman of Shinyglow
Then the New mobile Trio

Brilliant thread.
Of Funerals and Fish is 1, it introduced us to something that would make a huge impact on our lives. 2 is Spring Fever, Liz Smith would have made a great regular, the scene in the cafe is brilliant, I especially like Sid and Ivys reaction.

I hate to break the news, but The Changing Face of Rural Blamire was Series Two.

I'm going to pick The New Mobile Trio for paving the way for future episodes concerning Clegg and driving.

And I'm also going to pick Spring Fever, because it has a little bit of everything going on in it.

The New Mobile Trio for the first time they get away from town and the interaction between Walter and his mother. Though after they crash into the tractor is priceless as well.
Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts for trying to camp out to see the sunrise but nothing seems to go right.

For me, the best two episodes in series 1 are the opening two....Short Back and Palais Glide and The Inventor of the Forty Foot Ferret, they are both magical, we get to know the characters in more depth for the first time and both rank in my top 30 episodes of all time.
Hail Smiling morn is also a classic and runs the above two close.

Back