Peter Sallis Mini Bio

Thanks a lot for sharing this! I went to her channel and see she has quite a few videos on actors / actresses I like - Leonard Rossiter, Peter Bowles, Stephen Lewis, Paula Wilcox to name a few. Will check out more of her videos later.

Very good Barry. I have seen Compo's grave but this is the first time I have seen Clegg's. Wish I was fit enough to put some flowers on it.

I really enjoyed watching that. Thanks for sharing!
I'm in Holmfirth until tomorrow.
Sadly, there's still no proper gravestone for Peter Sallis.

That really is strange, he must have died a millionaire, I wonder where his money was bequeathed, surely someone should be buying him a fitting headstone!?

Did Collette have to talk that fast? Between her speedy delivery and the accent, it took all my powers of concentration to follow what she was saying.

And as far as the gravestone issue goes, most likely this lies directly at the feet of family. Can you envision the rector of St. John's on the phone with a family member attempting to delicately address the matter of the gravestone? And when it comes to family, there are all sorts of issues including hurts, memories, problems, feelings and all sorts of baggage that may interfere with the act of coming up with a gravestone.

Regarding the headstone I tried to solicit information some time ago [which you will see if you search the forum] in the end I contacted Peter's agent and was told in no uncertain terms that this was a Family matter , despite me underlining that I was only seeking information out of respect for the great man and through the love of his work and shows , sadly that was the end of the trail. In the thread I believe we drew the conclusion that Peter had perhaps left instructions that there was to be no fuss and that he wanted to effectively like Cleggy remain anonymous and understated

Regarding the headstone I tried to solicit information some time ago [which you will see if you search the forum] in the end I contacted Peter's agent and was told in no uncertain terms that this was a Family matter , despite me underlining that I was only seeking information out of respect for the great man and through the love of his work and shows , sadly that was the end of the trail. In the thread I believe we drew the conclusion that Peter had perhaps left instructions that there was to be no fuss and that he wanted to effectively like Cleggy remain anonymous and understated
Thanks for the information, yes that is a plausible explanation. Alternatively perhaps the frosty relationship he had with his family meant they weren't in a hurry so organise a lasting memorial. I guess we may never know..... Hopefully someone will one day write an accurate bio on him like the many greats.

Not long after his death, and after a newspaper article that appeared to play down family involvement in his life, I read a reply published in response to these comments from his grandson. I can't remember which newspaper now, but I remember Marianna checked it out when I quoted it. In reply his grandson said Peter had a close relationship with his son and grandsons and they were in regular contact. Perhaps it was Peter's choice not to have a headstone. It's all a matter of personal choice.

Back