Pete Postlethwaite in A Merry Heatwave

wstol

Dedicated Member
Some time ago I think we discussed this, so now might be a good time to see if any new evidence has come light.

Pete postlethwaite is credited for A Merry Heatwave - but he's not in it as far as I can tell.

Any ideas folk?

I'm not familiar with him, but it looks to me like he's the man who comes into the cafe (the second one) who asks for something light. Ivy tells him he'll have turkey and plum pudding and like it.

I'm not familiar with him, but it looks to me like he's the man who comes into the cafe (the second one) who asks for something light. Ivy tells him he'll have turkey and plum pudding and like it.

The man who asks for something light is actor Andrew Lane. Andrew can be seen on YouTube in a 1980 episode of Yes Minister, episode called Big Brother. He is at the very beginning playing a TV technician.

Wow, Holy resurrection thread Batman! :) I think this was mentioned many years ago. Somewhere there is probably the original version of this episode that he was in but got cut from every other release. Hmmmm must be out "there" somewhere.

There were two male customers appeared in the Cafe, one in Tennis gear, the other one in a Tee shirt

That's him.

The other man in the cafe, the tennis player, appears to be Bert Oxley. After more detective work, Bert Oxley can be seen on YouTube in a 1980 episode of All Creatures Great and Small, episode Judgement Bay. He plays a Barman in a beer tent that gets irate when his barmaid wife gets chatted up.

The man who orders something light does look a bit like Pete Postlethwaite, but, as I mentioned, the evidence in Post 3 suggests otherwise.

Teddy Turner of course plays the postman, he later played Old Edgar in a later episode.

I remember Big Unc told me this episode is around 35 minutes, so maybe some editing was already done to it. I have a BBC Video release of this episode, so it may pay to check it.

Couldn't see him. I then looked up the original Radio Times listing for BBC1 1st January 1978 - a site called Genome. I think I did this before, years ago.

Anyhow - the cast details include all the bit players EXCEPT Peter Postlethwaite.

So, it would seem his scene got cut just before original transmission.

Almost immediately after, Peter Postlethwaite found himself in a sizable part in an episode of Going Straight - produced by none other than Sydney Lotterby. Possibly a favour to make up for his LOTSW part presumably scrapped.

Just call me Wstol of the Yard.

Last edited:
My theory from the previous thread, which I still hold to, is that he's the photographer when Compo crashes the wedding after going over the wall in search of holly. He clearly does say something, but its not audible in the audio to me. However, I believe the rules at the time were that spoken roles had to be credited. Its possible that the scene was originally more extensive; instead we get Compo referencing things that happened after the scene cut.

You only get a brief view of the photographer and he doesn't look much like Pete...

Screenshot 2019-03-09 at 10.31.48 PM.png

Back