Old time Variety

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
Whilst Britain's Got Talent is searching for acts to appear at the Royal Variety Show I have to say its not something I would ever watch but I do have an interest in Old Variety Theatre and Music Hall. A couple of weeks back I was on a Heritage Walk in Newcastle which showed locations of the old theatres and Music Halls as well as championing local stars .

I am presently reading a book about Old Time Variety written by Richard Baker and have reached a chapter regarding the Crazy Gang [Bud Flannagan and Co , Bud is the singer of the Dad's Army theme song for those who may not know] . One of the associate members is Monsewer Eddie Gray who perhaps captured what variety artists were about because not only was he a comedian but was a proficient Juggler .

I have added a couple of links to some grainy black and white films that illustrate what he did. In the book you get the flavour that the Gang were anarchic , they would join the audience queue waiting for admission to the theatre and once inside would create mayhem . I really just wondered if any of the more Senior UK Members of the site had ever caught their act live just to see if the flavour purveyed in the book was as described when seen live . Thank you for any help . I wonder if any of the LOTSW cast were possibly involved in the tail end of Variety, thinking maybe Bill Owen, as a crooner , might have appeared on a Variety Show somewhere .

For those who don't know of Variety I hope you enjoy the clips .

Last edited:
Back