Old Fashioned ??

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
I don't get out a great deal and watch cricket and football on TV . Why are modern sportsmen adopting the hairstyles they do ??
Their hair is long on top or on one side. The rest is near enough shaved ! They remind me of the New Romantics on the pop scene a few years ago!My mother would have been saying, How can they see to play with their hair flopping in their eyes ?? :confused2::eyesroll:

Latest style seems to stem from the fifties when people like the Everly Brothers , James Dean all had similar cuts but they now have sides cut with either a number 1 or 0 comb on the trimmer

everly.jpg

jamesdean.jpg

David Beckham wearing an Alice band was a step to far! And what's with man buns? Men need to look like men!

Don't think I have actually seen those you are referring to Dick but think I know what you mean. I heard about Beckham and the hair band, not impressed. Same as with the man buns, not impressed. Even 'the Hound' from Game of Thrones made fun of a guy with the man bun.

Some of those type of less extreme styles I do not find too bad, but those are on TV shows and they make sense for their context. Like Ragnarok's on the show Vikings - enjoyed the first few seasons of that. The group called Belters (they live in the asteroid belt) in the awesome sci-fi show called The Expanse. I like the hairstyles in the great show Peaky Blinders. Would like to get a proper Tommy Shelby style haircut but have yet to find a place that has heard of the show, let alone seen it. Taking in printed pictures does not always help...

A hairdo that is long on top and shaved sides is called a Mohawk, which were American Indians who were depicted in the movies, riding horses at top speed and war whooping at they fought the American troops.

Since so little grown the top of my pate I think I can safely say I shall not be following this trend! there again if anyone saw my sartorial approach would know - fashionable is not the word. I perfected my style about 1966 and have stuck with it. Even the gentlemen's EDT dates from 1966!

Back