Moving in with my cousin

Beth

Dedicated Member
You are all my family so I thought I should share this. I have been off work for some time. I have been on short-term disability for anxiety and severe depression. I am doing 100% better and ready to go back to work next week.

I was planning on moving to a cheaper apartment due to my income being cut in half and bills accumulating, but my cousin who has a farm, invited me to live with her. You cant imagine how incredible a gift this is. She is hardly charging me anything so that I can get back on my feet. Isn't that wonderful. I feel that I have a new lease on life.

Like I said, she has a small farm. I have chores when she leaves on vacation or needs help. I am expected to take care of her (4) dogs; (2) cats; chickens and horses.

Now I have never taken care of horses or chickens. My grandfather had a farm but I never gathered eggs so this will be an experience but I believe I will be having some fun stories for you all. I will start a blog, "Beth Ann's Experiences on the Farm".

I am blessed to have the family I have. They have been supportive of me and have helped me. It is also good to have a family here (my LOTSW) family. You all have been supportive as well. Thanks for listening. :)

Best of luck Beth, you're not going to start shouting " Night John Boy" are you? :D

Best of luck Beth, you're not going to start shouting " Night John Boy" are you? :D
Oh, that's a good idea on my first night there and see what she does. ;) I think I will start wearing plaid shirts and jeans all the time too!

My grandfather had a farm but I never gathered eggs so this will be an experience but I believe I will be having some fun stories for you all.

What a treat to have really fresh eggs on a routine basis!

Glad you're feeling better and will be returning to work. Best of luck!

Marianna

Chickens are pretty easy Beth. Just give me a shout. I am just a beginner, but gathering fresh eggs is so rewarding. I am sorry you have been going thru this difficult time, and glad that you are doing better. It is good to know that you family there is helping you. Wonderful that she is helping you get back to where you were financially , if not better!!!!! God Bless you Beth and your cousin.:17:

Chickens are pretty easy Beth. Just give me a shout. I am just a beginner, but gathering fresh eggs is so rewarding. I am sorry you have been going thru this difficult time, and glad that you are doing better. It is good to know that you family there is helping you. Wonderful that she is helping you get back to where you were financially , if not better!!!!! God Bless you Beth and your cousin.:17:

Thank you both Marianna and Brenda. Yes, you should see the size of those eggs those chickens hatch. They are bigger than any X-Large you can get at the store.

By the way, Shelly showed me some baby chicks that are just 2 weeks old. There is one baby fur ball that is completely black. Have you ever seen one? I think I saw one at the fair maybe.

Beth, you should do fine. How can you have anxiety and depression around chickens and horses? It should be so relaxing. And if you feel like you need to let off steam, the chickens won't mind.

There is one baby fur ball that is completely black. Have you ever seen one? I think I saw one at the fair maybe.

When I was young, we had Plymouth Rock hens, and the chicks were very dark — solid black under certain lighting conditions. Later on, when we needed to increase production to supply our growing customer base, we gradually switched over to White Leghorns. The chicks were an Easter-appropriate pale yellow, but the hens weren't nearly as interesting to look at as the Plymouth Rocks had been.

Marianna

Its a long while since I had any Plymouth Rocks Beth but the black fur ball may turn out to be a cockerel . Its that long ago I may be mistaken! :16:

And do not forget to slap your thigh as you exclaim "well dang mah ....." or words similar ....:biggrin: :biggrin:
Yes my gramma always said "Day Law" which I think....well actually I have no idea what that meant. ;D

Beth, you should do fine. How can you have anxiety and depression around chickens and horses? It should be so relaxing. And if you feel like you need to let off steam, the chickens won't mind.
Lol.. Too funny. Yes your right. I can tell them all my troubles and they will never talk either. ;D

Yes my gramma always said "Day Law" which I think....well actually I have no idea what that meant. ;D

Probably just a generic mild oath like 'Land sakes!' or 'Sakes alive!' Similar to 'My goodness'. 'Day law' isn't listed in the Merriam Webster Dictionary of American Idioms, but the other three are.

Marianna

Thank you both Marianna and Brenda. Yes, you should see the size of those eggs those chickens hatch. They are bigger than any X-Large you can get at the store.

By the way, Shelly showed me some baby chicks that are just 2 weeks old. There is one baby fur ball that is completely black. Have you ever seen one? I think I saw one at the fair maybe.

The ones we had at one day old were white. Our brown birds we got when they were about a year. That may be one of those specialty birds. I just found out that my red sex links are a mix breed! They are good layers thou. Sometimes those big eggs are double yoke eggs. Haven't had some in a while. Had 3 in one week in the spring.:16:

Back