Missing our favourite programme

wstol

Dedicated Member
After seven or so years without any new LOTSW, how are we all coping?

Since the ending, we have been fortunate to receive a few books and the completion of the DVDs, and even a follow up to Open All Hours.

But TV does seem a quieter place without the latest goings-on in Holmfirth.

Are we ready for a new novel by Roy Clarke, or a TV series called Middle of the Summer Wine to cheer us up?

I think it has been said before but First of the Summer Wine still has some mileage in it and would be by far the more convivial to cast rather than try and recast people into roles for a new series of LOTSW. I am sure it would spark outrage if other actors were cast as characters from our beloved show whereas with FOTSW it would be more acceptable . Roy Clarke can move the script on to a different era, given the significant age gap of the characters in FOTSW and those in the earliest episode of LOTSW .

Ever since I bought the FOTSW DVD sets, I've preceded my chronological viewing of LOTSW with it, then spent that viewing eagerly anticipating the next round of FOTSW. I find the 1939 setting fascinating, as well as the interesting characters and the glimpses of the lives of ordinary working people at that time.

To my great surprise, friends who have lived in England all of their lives had never heard of FOTSW until I mentioned it. Both series were broadcast at least once, but were they ever repeated?

Ever since I bought the FOTSW DVD sets, I've preceded my chronological viewing of LOTSW with it, then spent that viewing eagerly anticipating the next round of FOTSW. I find the 1939 setting fascinating, as well as the interesting characters and the glimpses of the lives of ordinary working people at that time.

To my great surprise, friends who have lived in England all of their lives had never heard of FOTSW until I mentioned it. Both series were broadcast at least once, but were they ever repeated?

I believe they were repeated on UK Gold a couple of times, but we get very little of the older BBC comedies repeated on BBC, they do show the odd Dad's Army but that is about it

I've seen them repeated about 3 times on Gold, I like them even with the continuity errors.

1st December = Gold morphs to Xmas Gold and the Xmas related shows have been taken out of the spare room [like the tree] and are being aired. Today we have A Merry Heatwave, Small Tune on a Penny Wassail and a Dewhirst up a Fir Tree for anyone who is interested . No Xmas episode was made for FOTSW so nothing to include in their schedule for that show which stimulated my curiosity . I have sent a question to UKTV to ask if they own the rights to FOTSW and whether or not they have any plans to air the show in the near future.

Get real!!! THEY are aiming straight at the Millennials AND are busy reducing everyone to having mushy non-thinking brains. Won't see any new shows that even get close to LOTSW.

I have sent a question to UKTV to ask if they own the rights to FOTSW and whether or not they have any plans to air the show in the near future.

I received a reply they did not say no but unfortunately did not say yes.

" I'm afraid we don't have any news on this yet, I'll pass it across to the schedulers as an expression of interest again, it is clearly a fit for the channels so it's likely something we would go if the rights are available."

What is interesting about the response is the fact that they appear not to own the rights which clearly they did at some juncture because , as Pearl alluded to, the series has been shown on Gold. As BBC effectively have a major share in UKTV and would have been the company who would either lease or sell the rights .

I would be staggered if they still don't own them because I cannot seen any other channels except the BBC and UKTV groups who would broadcast FOTSW and want to purchase the rights so I would have thought it would just be a case of scheduling the series .

I imagine that once they have completed running LOTSW through to the last episode they would simply start at episode 1 again whilst there would be an opportunity for a break to show FOTSW

Last edited:
Back