MEMORIES...

Wintertea

I wonder if any of you can help solve a small, personal mystery? Back in 1968/69, when I was much younger and marginally less ugly than I am now, I featured in a TV programme in which celebrities read stories to a small group of children... I was one of the latter! It was a bit like Jackanory with a young audience present. Two episodes were filmed consecutively, with the late, great actor Kenneth Griffith taking the chair. If my memory serves me correctly, I was sat next to him in one of the episodes and, at the close, he turned to me and asked: "Did you enjoy that?"
Thing is, my attempts to find out anything about this series have drawn a blank. I can find no record of it, no mention of it; and even TV experts are baffled. So, can anyone shed any light on this?
Meanwhile, my book, "LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE: AN APPRECIATION", is still available on Amazon!

It was definitely a show on its own. About ten/fifteeen minutes tops. I will check out Look and Read. I always thought it was called Tell Me a Story, but my research has brought up nothing.

No, it wasn't Look and Read. The show I was in was simply a celeb reading a short story, nothing more. I remember one of my Primary School teachers taking me out of class to ask me all about it.

I remember a program that that went out before bedtime, it wasn't Jackanory but one similar.

This was screened at a similar time to Jackanory... 4-5pm or thereabouts. I've checked biogs of Kenneth Griffith and found nothing. But it really happened!

This was screened at a similar time to Jackanory... 4-5pm or thereabouts. I've checked biogs of Kenneth Griffith and found nothing. But it really happened!
It's very familiar to me but I can't put a name to it.

I have a strong suspicion that it was ITV, especially now that I've looked on Genome and can find no mention of it. But your suggestion has led me to another website, TVRDb, and I have found this entry under Kenneth Griffith...
THAMES ONCE UPON A TIME 5 OCT 1970
Could this be it!?!
Am going to research some more.

Would be good to know if the programme still exists.

BBC programmes in the late 60s and early 70s were often wiped.

ITV were more careful about saving programmes.

Do you remember if the programme was in colour?

I remember bits and pieces from the day, but cannot recall if it was colour or b/w. I am fairly sure we only had a b/w TV then, so I wouldn't have known the difference!
No trace of the programme on YouTube or BFI. Shame as I would love my daughters to see that I didn't always look like Sid James' great-great-great-great-notsogreat grandfather.

A google search for Once Upon A Time Thames TV Missing Episodes. Some details for 5th October 1970.

Very good chance your episode was made in colour, although there were technicians strikes around this time which meant it may have meant black and white.

Back