Lovely Holiday

JBCat

Dedicated Member
Not long back from holiday in Holmfirth (very active with much bussing and walking!) and I was so, so grateful for the Summer Wine Map and advice given to me on this site which enabled me to see so many interesting and beautiful sights. Would have posted before now but I feel much more comfortable with a desk PC than using a smartphone.
I certainly lucked out with the weather as there were only 2 days of rain but the heat was getting a little bit intense even so!

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 34
Glad you enjoyed your time is Summer Wine world so to speak and were able to see the sights for yourself in person , great photo all that's missing are Truly and Clegg sitting nearby as Compo and Doggy try to knock each other of the bridge parapet during a rematch for Thumpy Dub champion!

Thank you all! Not sure if I should be re-sizing photos before posting them on here or if it's ok to post them just as they come?

Anyway I will post another one for now, showing a horse in the field beside Gate Foot Lane, near New Mill, just up from the Toss o'Coin pub- this place really gave me a strong feeling of deja-vu and I presume this is the field used in "Catching Digby's Donkey"? As well as wanting to see Marina's house, I was making for Hirst Lane as I had missed the Hollin House Lane turn-off closer to New Mill, as it was such a modest little opening with no street sign (that I saw, anyway - although on my way back I noticed the name was on a bus stop) - there was a For Sale sign planted just at the opening too, which made me think it was someone's private driveway.

It was fantastic to walk the full length of Hirst Lane and see my "pet" place at the crossroads with the curve at the top of the Scaley Gate lane and the dell where the barbecue incident took place. The dell is fenced off now and terribly overgrown, you would not be able to take a barbecue, bench, or anything else in there!

(Great too to have an excuse to have a repeat lunch at the Red Lion in Jackson Bridge which serves delicious meals at a very reasonable price!)

Can't believe I am just casually mentioning all these iconic places, this was meant to be my last break for a long while but I would love to go back.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 27
Thank you all! Not sure if I should be re-sizing photos before posting them on here or if it's ok to post them just as they come?

Anyway I will post another one for now, showing a horse in the field beside Gate Foot Lane, near New Mill, just up from the Toss o'Coin pub- this place really gave me a strong feeling of deja-vu and I presume this is the field used in "Catching Digby's Donkey"? As well as wanting to see Marina's house, I was making for Hirst Lane as I had missed the Hollin House Lane turn-off closer to New Mill, as it was such a modest little opening with no street sign (that I saw, anyway - although on my way back I noticed the name was on a bus stop) - there was a For Sale sign planted just at the opening too, which made me think it was someone's private driveway.

It was fantastic to walk the full length of Hirst Lane and see my "pet" place at the crossroads with the curve at the top of the Scaley Gate lane and the dell where the barbecue incident took place. The dell is fenced off now and terribly overgrown, you would not be able to take a barbecue, bench, or anything else in there!

(Great too to have an excuse to have a repeat lunch at the Red Lion in Jackson Bridge which serves delicious meals at a very reasonable price!)

Can't believe I am just casually mentioning all these iconic places, this was meant to be my last break for a long while but I would love to go back.

They fenced in Scaly Gate as it was getting torn up with young lads on motorcycles. there are two ways in to the area one is fine for cars the route you took by foot I drove once, it took a while as it it a bit rough, as you stand with the dell on your left I recently noticed the field on the right was used in the barrel rolling scene

Thank you for the pictures , I have said on the forum before all these iconic locations ,which members recognise, but when you see them in the flesh you would never know some of our greatest comedic stars have stood there or acted out a scene in the show. I have said it many times but I don't feel the local councils have given enough recognition to the show and what it did for the Tourist numbers it generated. I know you acknowledged it but Terry's [ Maltrab] map is a work of art , and dedication, and a godsend for anyone wanting to visit the area.

They fenced in Scaly Gate as it was getting torn up with young lads on motorcycles. there are two ways in to the area one is fine for cars the route you took by foot I drove once, it took a while as it it a bit rough, as you stand with the dell on your left I recently noticed the field on the right was used in the barrel rolling scene

I hope that was in a 4x4 Terry, would be quite a bumpy ride!

That is interesting about the barrel rolling scene. So many episodes I want to re-watch now!

Thank you for the pictures , I have said on the forum before all these iconic locations ,which members recognise, but when you see them in the flesh you would never know some of our greatest comedic stars have stood there or acted out a scene in the show. I have said it many times but I don't feel the local councils have given enough recognition to the show and what it did for the Tourist numbers it generated. I know you acknowledged it but Terry's [ Maltrab] map is a work of art , and dedication, and a godsend for anyone wanting to visit the area.

You are absolutely right Captain, the local councils have not really given as much recognition to the show as they could have done, but the map is brilliant - I'd hardly have had a worthwhile holiday without it.

Thanks, Captain. The Scaley Gate dell was certainly well on the way to its current state back in 2015. Can't see the area ever returning to what it looked like in LOTSW but that is maybe a good thing for the insects and birds and all the little creatures living there (Clegg would approve!)

I was interested in the photo taken on the bridge near Wesley and Edie's because you could still see the old mill and the water in 2015, now they are completely obscured by greenery (I had been hoping to take a photo of the view from the bridge but it would have just been a mass of green leaves, so did not bother).

Back