LOTSW Greatest Hits

What 20 episodes would you put on a greatest hits disc collection?

Now I think this will take some time! I had trouble with my top 50 a while ago, 20 will be even worse!

Does this include specials George, or just regular episodes?

Taking Sam Home
The mysterious feet on Nora Batty
Edie and the Automobile
The Treasure of the Deep
The Man from Oswastry
The return of the Warrior
Uncle of the Bride
Whats Santa Got For Nora Batty
The Suit That turned Left
Woollen Mills Of Your Mind
Once a Moonlight Junk Yard
Who's That With Nora Batty
Happy Birthday Howard
All Mod Conned
Flag and Snags
Into the Wild Blue Yonder
Foggy Up A Fur Tree
Bicycle Bonanza
Destiny a 6 Bananas
Downhill Racer

Some way be not quite right but that off the top of my head.

Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty
Serenade for tight jeans and metal detector
One Of The Last Few Places Unexplored By Man
Whoops
How Robin Hood discovered the secret scar
Jurassic no parking
All mod conned
And a Dewhurst up a fir tree
Inventor of the 40 foot Ferret
The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper
Getting On Sidney's Wire
Deep In The Heart Of Yorkshire
Car and Garter
The White Man's Grave
Catching Digby's Donkey
Return of the Warrior
Roll On
Welcome To Earth
Adopted by a Stray
Deviations With Davenport
The new mobile trio
The Lair of the Cat Creature
Happy Birthday Robin Hood
The Swan Man Of Ilkley
Has Anyone Seen a Peruvian Wart?
Follow That Bottle
Who's That Talking To Lenny?
What Happened to the Horse?
Enter The Finger
Keeping Britain tidy

Mine became a top 30 Greatest Hits mate, and even then I had to do some culling that I wasnt happy with.

Forked lightening
Kink in foggys niblick
Getting on sidneys wire
Greenfingers
Full steam behind
Earnshaw strikes again
Whoops
Bicycle made for 3
All mod conned
White mans grave
The loxley lozenge
Uncle of the bride
Edie and the automobile
When you take a good bite Yorkshire tastes terrible
Getting Barry higher in the world
3 men and a mangle
Have you got a light mate?
Bicycle bonanza
Suit that attracts blondes
Brief excursion in the fast lane(must include this for the very fetching appearence of Glenda in leathers)

Could have added more same as Rob but struggled with what to leave out!! ::)

Here is my list

The Bandit from Stoke on trent.
Crums
All mod conned
Edie and the automobile
A bicycle made for three
Changeing face of rural Blamire
Return of the warrior
Hail smiling morn or thereabouts
The white mans grave
When you take a good bite Yorkshire tastes terribile
The great boarding house bathroom caper
The secret birthday of norman clegg
Greenfingers
Whoops
Whos looking after the cafe then
Stop that bath
Uncle of the bride
Dried dates and codfanglers
The most powerful eyeballa in west Yorkshire
Cheering up Gordon

just off the list

The Waist land
Small tune on a penny wassil.

Reading eveyones elses I could now do another 20 - 40 :)

Same as me Susan!
It doesn't surprise me at all, but reading this thread just brings home how a group of people can all see the same thing and come out with such disparate views.
I think there are episodes that we probably all agree on, but I studied other peoples top 20's and thought "cor, there are only about (insert number, say 8 for arguments sake) there that would make my top 50 nevermind top 20!
I guess that is the beauty of both the show, individualim and human nature! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I left episodes out that would rank above some that others have in their top 20.
It's never an exact science.

In no particular order

The Empire Foggy Nearly Built
The Frozen Turkey Man
Cheering Up Ludovic
The Self Propelled Salad Strainer
The Phantom No.14 Bus
Who's Thrown Away Her Tom Cruise Photographs?
Happy Anniversary Gough And Jessie
The Experiment
The Love Mobile
Ironing Day
The Suit That Turned Left
All Mod Conned
The New Mobile Trio
Hail Smilin Morn Or Thereabouts
A Bicycle Made For Three
Full Steam Behind

sure I will think of some others in due course

Reading eveyones elses I could now do another 20 - 40 :)

Same as me Susan!
It doesn't surprise me at all, but reading this thread just brings home how a group of people can all see the same thing and come out with such disparate views.
I think there are episodes that we probably all agree on, but I studied other peoples top 20's and thought "cor, there are only about (insert number, say 8 for arguments sake) there that would make my top 50 nevermind top 20!
I guess that is the beauty of both the show, individualim and human nature! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. I left episodes out that would rank above some that others have in their top 20.
It's never an exact science.

I look at some and think " No Way" :)

But then I look and see some that I forgot to put on mine, your right about beauty being the eye of the beholder, but having said that I would watch each and everyone a hundred times, my husband said" we already have " ;D

Don't have a list, but ... watched A Short Introduction To Cooper's Rules
last night. Really very good show. Kitson and Emerick are
wonderful. One of the funniest.

Along with that, I would lave the Pilot and Full Steam Behind.

A top twenty Greatest Hits was too difficult. I constructed my list by I cheated- it is a top 25, however, I used all three of the Passing of Compo as one extended Episode, that would be a separate disc all on its own. I included some of my favorites in this list, but even more so I tried to select the most historically significant episodes, such as the pilot, the intro and return of Foggy, the swan song, etc. I also tried to create a list of episodes that evenly represents each era of the show.

I am including commentary on why I selected each, but for those who are only curious to which “25” I’ve selected, you can just read them only as I put them in all capital letters.

Here it is in chronological order……

1. OF FUNERALS AND FISH – it is a very appropriate pilot to the show
2. SHORT BACK AND PALAIS GLIDE- to me it is a classic “aimlessly wandering around” episode that takes the gang to a selection of interesting places, each with its own amusing parts- barbershop, Mrs. Partridge’s home, the police station, etc.
3. NEW MOBILE TRIO – Correct me if I am wrong, but this episode is an introduction to Clegg’s driving- which is much worth noting!
4. BALLAD FOR WIND INSTRUMENTS AND CANOE- this is what I call a classic “situation comedy”- much of the humor is based on the crazy predicaments the trio gets themselves into
5. MAN FROM OSWESTRY- Blamire’s departure and Foggy’s entrance is definitely significant in the shaping of the future of the show
6. GREAT BOARDING HOUSE CAPER- it is one of the classic episodes involving the trio taking a trip, with great scenes from the boarding house
7. GOING TO GORDON’S WEDDING- another great situation comedy involving crazy wedding scenes, Summer Wine has some great wedding and funeral episodes
8. IN SERVICE TO HUMANITY – to me this is a class Foggy episode where he gets in trouble trying to me more of a hero than he really is!
9. WELLIES TO WETSUIT- Classic Compo with great store and river scenes
10. HEAVILY REINFORCED BOTTOM- one of the first great ones with Seymour and a good follow up to Wellies to Wetsuit
11. DRIED DATES AND CODFANGLERS- another great “aimlessly wandering around” episode that is also a good example of Seymour’s mishaps- thinking he is so brilliant with his invention of a voice activating door lock, which like all his inventions ad ideas, goes awry
12. SET THE PEOPLE FREE – this is one of the all time great episodes and to me an anthem of what the entire show stands for. Summer wine is decades of married men being domesticated and oppressed and single guys having all kinds of care free adventures- The trio trying to free Howard from his “prison cell” is Clarke’s ultimate reflection of married and single living- of course in my own opinion
13. RETURN OF THE WARRIOR- the return of Foggy is clearly significant
14. COME IN SUNRAY MAJOR- another great episode showing Foggy’s mishaps
15. THERE ARE GYPSIES AT THE BOTTOM OF OUR GARDEN- a lot of people here always praise the Empire that Foggy Nearly Built as a great “Foggy epside”- true, but “Dewhurst Nature Tours” is my favorite Foggy Scheme and favorite ever Howard and Marina plot, th scenes with the gypsies (especially with Aunti Wainwright) are also great
16. THE EMPIRE THAT FOGGY NEARLY BUILT-as mentioned, it is a great “Foggy’s scheme episode
17. DESTINY AND SIX BANANAS- not Foggy’s last episode but a great one to send him out on a farewell in this tribute
18. LAST POST AND PIGEON- a great way to say good-bye and enjoy Compo one last time

19. THE TRIO OF FALLEN WELLES, THROSTLENEST, AND SMALL FUNERAL – OK, so I cheated in order to get more episodes on my list- but as mentioned before, these three are such classics, yes I lumped them all together but they really do deserve to be in their own disc

20. MISSING BUS OF MRS. AVERY- yes to the dismay of many here, I actually put in an episode with Mrs. Avery and a lot of Tom. Generally it’s a rather disliked and short era of the show, but I believe is hilarious and I challenge anyone out there, as long as they like the later years in general, to watch this episode fully with an open mind and you will find it is a classic in its own way!
21. GNOME AND AWAY- great classic Truly and Billy episode which is typical of the wacky escapades of the guys in the post-Compo era
22. LAIR OF THE CAT CREATURE- similar reasons as Gnome and Away, a good one where all the characters were used in great ways
23. FOLLOW THAT BOTTLE- to me it is possibly the best post-Compo episode, a combination of “aimlessly wandering” and situation comedy, kind of reflecting traits to Ballad of Wind Instruments and Canoe with the guys chasing something down a stream of water
24. Entering the Hobbo era- the episode where Howard is wired and eavesdrops on Pearl and Nelly for Hobbo- OK, I believe the quality of the show dropped during the last three years and almost didn’t include any Hobbo episodes, however, I recognize it is still pretty good and should be represented as part of the Summer Wine history, the Howarding eavesdropping scene is a classic
25. HOW NOT TO CRY AT WEDDINGS- People’s disliking for this episode have been posted before but overall I still think it is decent by itself as a regular episode and since it is the swansong, should be included- one last saying good bye to everyone, except unfortunately Nora- also ending on a wedding episode is good

Thanks for reading! It is such a long post I will put the ones I eliminated, the Honorable Mentions, later!

In broadcast order, I've selected a range from across all eras (although making it, has made me realise what a rut i thought the show was in, during the 90's). I've cheated slightly by putting the Scarborough episodes as one entry, and done the same with the Funeral trilogy. If i had to be strict i'd choose "Boarding House Caper" and "Just a Small Funeral" as the episodes of each that i'd chose.

Ballad for wind Instruments and Canoe
The Great Boarding House Caper/Cheering Up Gordon
Small Tune on a Penny Wassail
Earnshaw Strikes Again
Whoops
A Bicycle Made for Three
Getting Sam Home
When You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible
Crums
Happy Anniversary Gough & Jessie
What's Santa Bought for Nora Then
Come in Sunray Major