Locations: As they are today

Another location altered / wiped out. The Gate that the trio sat on has been removed, entrance widened & set back.
Would it be sacrilegious to say it actually looks a lot smarter and traditional than it did previously, perhaps progress can sometimes be positive ? o_O

Normally yes, but interfering with Summerwine land is not on! It's the entrance to the piece of land that has just been sold accross from Noras.

End of the day the landowner has decided it needed to be revamped presumably for access to the field. Would Alan J W Bell and co have sought permission to use it when they filmed or did they just use it to film the scene and move on . Sadly whilst the key locations remain pretty much as they were there are lots which have changed significantly from when they appeared in the show . At least we have the then and now photos to refer to from the threads and members photos.

Wow, I had not noticed before how much of a grade / slope there is in front of Norah and Compo's place. The picture of yours, Graham in post #188.

Or maybe it is. an illusion with the wall and railings while the actual pathway is flat or level. For those who have been there in person, your thoughts. The angle must help the dust roll away downhill while Norah swept!

Judging by the stones on the wall it seems like a several foot rise on the left side by the white chair to the steps on the right side.
It's not so bad on the slope, but Nora's steps are random heights and I don't know how Kathy Staff never twisted an ankle.

It's not so bad on the slope, but Nora's steps are random heights and I don't know how Kathy Staff never twisted an ankle.
They are some quite steep steps but like you say not consistent the last time I went in 2021 I took a picture of door you can slightly see the steps the walk up to them and Compos house is ok among the path

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18
Normally yes, but interfering with Summerwine land is not on! It's the entrance to the piece of land that has just been sold accross from Noras.
I think as time has gone on there’s going to be lots of changes and it pains me - like Wesley’s Garage is no longer there sad times

Not sure who's seen the latest Summer Wino's video on YouTube, but I was genuinely shocked to see the church where Clegg is chatting to the priest in the pilot has been leveled :mad:
:mad:

That church was just up from the gate that I've mentioned. Cemetery lane. The graveyard is still in use & has some familiar local names on the headstones.

Holmfirth is one of those rare places that arguably look better today than decades ago, just look at what was the Co-Op car park on the pilot, it looks like properly grim. But of course the gradual improvements also erode the links with Summer Wine, so bittersweet

There was a mill building in the car park of which only the pediment is left as a reminder. I believe it says Albert mill.

Another drone vid from Huddersfield outdoors, this time Hinchliffe Mill which was much used for the show.
Glimpses of Edies front porch @ 6:38,
Car drive down lane from Wesley's shed @ 6:52,
Tree on the hill @8:20 & the tour bus comes down Co-op lane @ 8:36.

Holmfirth is one of those rare places that arguably look better today than decades ago, just look at what was the Co-Op car park on the pilot, it looks like properly grim. But of course the gradual improvements also erode the links with Summer Wine, so bittersweet
I always wondered about that (since I mostly watched newer episodes long before seeing the pilot). I just chalked it up to dated filming and location prep/scouting.

Back