Little Britain

I was being tongue in cheek Captain, I figured they didn't want to be fishing it out of the harbour ! :08:

Well despite having 99% of them appears Baden Powell never got his swimming proficiency badge so if they throw the statue in the harbour he would simply drown and sink to the bottom like a stone :08:;)

The BBC are 'under increasing pressure' to remove The League of Gentlemen series like Netflix have due to the Papa Lazarou character (basically a black and white minstrel type for those who've not seen it) This is becoming like a real life episode of The Witchsmeller Pursuivant in Blackadder to continue the comedy theme.

Locally there is a groundswell to pull down the statue of Clive of India which has been standing in Shrewsbury for many years. I thought the current pandemic was the most surreal time in a generation, but I'm now beginning to wonder.....

Locally there is a groundswell to pull down the statue of Clive of India which has been standing in Shrewsbury for many years. I thought the current pandemic was the most surreal time in a generation, but I'm now beginning to wonder.....
They might better attach a plaque stating the detailed historical context. Most people would probably get so bored after reading the first couple of sentences that they'd shrug off their uninformed objections and walk away. Those of us who would be interested would read it, then head for the library for a deep dive into the history. Either way, the history and its effects happened and can't be undone, but if the evidence is obliterated there's danger of believing that the resulting societal ills have been repaired when they've only been swept under the rug.

Uktv have removed an episode of faulty towers title 'the Germans ' as it apparently contains racial slurs

They might better attach a plaque stating the detailed historical context. Most people would probably get so bored after reading the first couple of sentences that they'd shrug off their uninformed objections and walk away. Those of us who would be interested would read it, then head for the library for a deep dive into the history. Either way, the history and its effects happened and can't be undone, but if the evidence is obliterated there's danger of believing that the resulting societal ills have been repaired when they've only been swept under the rug.
That's very well said Marianna, and I completely agree. If you're interested I've attached an article from our local paper, and their online poll shows 77% support to keep it up. There's even a rival petition to keep it in-situ which is gathering support, the invidious protests to pull down these statues will do nothing more than to make bigoted people even more entrenched in their views.

We must stand firm for truth and justice. We must, above all stand firm. We must carry on -- and live our lives as much as possible as normal as possible. We must not let those people decide what we can and cannot think. We cannot let history be rewritten.

DONT MENTION THE WAR !:13::20:

Apparently, they've had second thoughts and the episode has been reinstated after a protest by John Cleese. But it will carry a warning.
But what else have they got in their sights ? - "It ain't half hot mum" and "'Allo 'Allo" might be next.

The Rfu want to ban England fans from singing swing low sweet chariot because of it's historical connections to slavery

Back