Let the train take the strain!

In all the years I've visited the UK and traveled around by train, I've had to use a replacement bus service only twice. The first time was to get to York from Alnmouth, due to scheduled track maintenance. The second was on the London Euston to Nuneaton line, headed for Nuneaton, due to an engine on fire at the points just beyond the station. Have I been extraordinarily lucky?

The first time was to get to York from Alnmouth

Hello Marianna,

What did you think of Alnmouth itself? It's relatively local to me , I love going their off season when the crowds have gone , crossing the golf course on the track , parking next the Beach and strolling along it . The town itself is quaint , I have taken several photographs from the road in , it looks so picturesque sat on the headland. Rather than post a picture here there are plenty of images on the net for anyone who wishes to see what I am talking about.

In all the years I've visited the UK and traveled around by train, I've had to use a replacement bus service only twice. The first time was to get to York from Alnmouth, due to scheduled track maintenance. The second was on the London Euston to Nuneaton line, headed for Nuneaton, due to an engine on fire at the points just beyond the station. Have I been extraordinarily lucky?

UK Bank holiday time seems a popular time for major rail works, if we get high winds it can bring down sections of overhead lines,so buses replace trains in most cases,flooding causes the same effect,sadly people being hit by trains will cause major disruption, (Sad because a loss of life and the effects on train and emergency crews), signal or power failure can cause havoc along with train failure and with the odd crash,almost daily somewhere in the UK there will be some sort of disruption on the network

What did you think of Alnmouth itself?

I loved it! That trip was a landscape photography holiday with HF Holidays (used to call itself Holiday Fellowship), so I stayed at Nether Grange. We had a day's photo shoot in and around Alnmouth, and a couple a days in the wider area.

The second visit started with some independent touring, with lodging at the Hope & Anchor on Northumberland Street, followed by a tour of the eastern half of Hadrian's Wall, again based at Nether Grange. At the start of that visit, I had time to see Alnmouth in much more depth, leading to an even greater appreciation of the village. At low tide, the mud flats yielded especially interesting photo ops.

If we ever get over there, we will gladly take the train and if there is some accident or incident we will gladly ride the bus. Never got around to learning how to drive a car with a stick shift and even if I managed to rent an automatic, I'm sure that I would royally screw up driving on the left.

Back