Lapse in costume detail

Yes it was/is an M & S one (I had a very similar one slightly different colourway) and most men would have been bought a new one at some time!

I had noticed that - but I do know some men who only have two or three ties and always wear the same. In fact - he would wear it for several weeks for filming and then it would be stored away until next time. So it would last. My version of it was discarded when it became too worn and lost its appeal - I tend to go for bolder ones these days, and also never wear the same tie two days running (helps the fabric recover from tieing) but then I do have a number now in stock, not actually sure how many to be truthful! :42::42::42:

Oh, please, do count them. For US if not for yourself. I am truly curious.

Either on the Cleggy's new jacket or the old one, I'm not sure which, they added leather strips to the edges. I'm told that that was a common practice to rejuvenate worn out clothing. Not sure if this was added by the Costume Dept. to give life to the worn edges or as part of Cleggy's character development.

Either on the Cleggy's new jacket or the old one, I'm not sure which, they added leather strips to the edges. I'm told that that was a common practice to rejuvenate worn out clothing. Not sure if this was added by the Costume Dept. to give life to the worn edges or as part of Cleggy's character development.

I think it was essential on the original to stop the sleeve ends stopping half way up his arms! Cuffs frayed and in the older days we had leather strips to get more wear out of the rest of the garment. Some had a strip along the front edge where the buttons holes where as well.

When he had the replacement jacket they were added for costume continuity although as stated the much more obvious rear aspect change was not noticed!

I had leather edges added to a blazer in the 1960s because of excessive wear.

Some uniforms, especially bus drivers and conductors, had leather cuffs ab initio (from the start for those whose Latin has been forgotten).

Back